THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grit Like Brent Smith.

I made a post but somehow it dissappeared:

I wanted to ask you how often you do a COMPLETE training session of vocal exercises. Also, how often do you SING SONGS BY BRENT SMITH? and also, how often you skip training sessions.

I don't have technical advice for you, but i will give you this, and it is powerful:
get an entire cd of Brent Smith's and sing EVERY SONG on the cd every practice session you do. Pay attention to getting your voice to become one with his. All his qualities will seep into you. do this for a few months and I know you will have some good results. This is a very fluid way of developing your voice, because you want an entire package not a segmented voice which can occur when you get stuck up in technique for too long. technique serves a purpose to get you in a position where you can just start singing songs and learning that way.

if this doesn't satisfy what you are looking for, then perhaps wait for someone else to respond, Sofus has some great knowledge on the biomechanics and technical aspects.

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies.

I really think I will try submerge myself in all his songs and "absorb" the artistry he has to offer.

And hopefully if I get my camera up and running I can post a video for critique. :)

Thanks again!

practice his songs for a few weeks before you put a vid up for critique. there is much to learn from a song, sometimes it takes weeks to gget the nuances and to be able to just freely SING IT without thinking about whats going on in the song.

Thanks Phil!
Your advice is much appreciated :)

Just want to point this out... I'm a big fan of Shinedown, but when I saw few of their performance on youtube I lost huge respect for Brent Smith voice that I had before. It's pitty that he is not able to sing half of their material live, some of it he is lip-sincing (they have just put their first 'live' dvd out, and he is lip-syncing half of the songs), and on some songs where he is not lip-syncing he is really struggling to sing them.
For example, go on youtube and try to find Shinedown singing Second Chance live, where he can hit that chorus right notes. You will not find it! He can't do it live at all. The only time I see he hits those notes is in that live dvd but that's obvious lyp-sincing.

****, and I had so huuuge respect for his voice, but he just can't sing like that live at all.

I still love Shinedown music, though :)

So I guess this is giving you answer. Those noteas are soo high, with large amount of grit, and volume.. it's not easy to sing them, and even he can't do it live. So, you can continue learning how to do it, but be careful, and don't be sad if you can't, it's really really hard to do it ;)

The main thing to remember while trying to sing like him: Don't push! It will kill your voice. You need to "hold back" while you try to sing those high notes.

Great replies guys! I'll think and apply what both of you have said.

Thanks!