THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Keeping Throat Open when doing Fry

No-one has any input on this? :(

Anything at all?

For example, on youtube, a member called Sanitybreaks (probably very popular among fry screamers) has tutorials in which his dry voice without a mic sounds badass! But for some reason I cannot mimic it without putting too much air into it = I cannot, for the life of me, feel it in my soft palate.

In fact, the less I think about the soft palate focus and the more I think about pushing the sound down into my diaphragm like was mentioned by some visiting artist in RYV, the better my sound is. So if I attempt to put the fry into the soft palate, it WILL be LOUD and it will be HIGH but it will not have the growling sound it would have if I didn't put it up there. So I guess my vocal cords are zipping up, and that places the sound into the soft palate, and that makes the high fry.

The trouble is I can't sustain any tone under the overtone of the fry. I "choke" and the sound "chokes." It sounds exactly like someone squeezing my throat to stop the sound, but it doesn't hurt. It just feels I'm pushing too hard.

The solution I mentioned above is simple: Just keep practicing with low volume. But if anyone has any input on visualizations or tips for practicing, I'd love em to bits.

Actually, I have this same exact issue.

Hope someone can respond with some clarity.

I got it now.

And I'm afraid it's just as simple as everyone's been saying, as Jaime's been saying, and Randy's been saying.

Quoting randy:

I'll tell you what I've told everyone, every kid that comes up to me and asks me "how do you do this and that?" And I tell them: Don't push. Just keep telling yourself that.

It's like trying to sing very loud, but at the same time trying to be really quiet. Today at our rehearsals I got it pat, and a friend of mine noticed it too. "Wow, that sounded brutal as hell!"

And I didn't exert myself in any way. So basically, keep the throat moist, don't push, use regular fry but add just a tad bit of tone into it and voila. Man. Now I understand why there are no tips to this. It's because there aren't any. There just aren't. If you master "do not push" you're set. The minute you start pushing you over-exert, and you will not be able to perform unless you back off for a couple of minutes. Another thing I noticed: If I found myself pushing, I had to take a 2min break or something. After that I was fine. If I kept going I'd suck and continue to suck worse during the whole set.