THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: little frys at the break area

..I am confused by the quote "many coaches have them".
Apart from that, it is probably the small muscles adjusting.

In other words, it is a good thing.
You are forcing your cords (in a gentle way)
to stay connected, while zipping up.

Practice that spot long enough
and the fry will replaced by a clean slide.
These muscles need to find the perfect motion for the zipping thing going on.

I believe Jaime Vendera has that fry on one of his recordings
you get with the RYV book and says, he didn't work out this part of his voice for some time.

hey guys i didnt mean actually the fry register which is the lowest register i meant little bit of rasp for example here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZGaxscWLbc

wen phil bridge theres a lot of rasp nd many coaches hv it but really hardly noticacble , is that normal or like u say with practice it can be really clean?
maybe wen u dont warm up u hv it i dont no , for me its always there but not as much as phil :P

Ok, so I watched only til minute 2:46,
as this is the first time, where noise was introduced.

That is not exactly vocal fry,
but rather unintentional distortion,
that occurs, when your not having the proper form or function.

In this case, my guess(!) is a lack of support.

This you don't want to have (it won't harm you).
The fry I meant would only appear on one or two notes in each run,
as it only happens at the bridge.

But he has that almost all the way through.
Should this happen, try again.
You will figure how to do it without.

Think about the things you know.
Open throat, support, placement..

aal,

Can you post a clip of yourself doing it?

It's hard to know without hearing you if you know what I mean!

I can give you a detailed explanation as to why you experience this "rasp" but it would be a lot easier if I can hear what you are doing.

sorry guys i dont hv a mic right now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUvurViKqY
u can watch from 6:40 here robert isnt warmed up nd u can hear this lil bit of rasp or watever it is :P
really nice interview btw

Yes at 6:50 Robert is not "balanced" (in CVT term it would be to sing between modes. His coordination is a little out of place and that's why you hear the rasp (Creaking). It's created because of aperiodic vibrations of the vocal folds. In this situation it seems to be unintentional, however you can also use it to actually create rasp intentionally. I actually talked to ƒelicopter about this issue in another thread (http://pub11.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=879185519&frmid=26&msgid=1086060&cmd=show).

thanks yea k so hw do u avoid this rasp do i hv to learn the cvt modes and how to transition through them without a break to get a clean transition?