THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EXTREME SCREAM IS HERE!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

As soon as I know which scream series is right for what I want to achieve personally, I will GLADLY part with 25 dollars for it!

anything by Jaime is worth your money. In fact, i don't trust anyone but him with my voice. Im looking forward to this new stuff.

Thanks Jaime, always looking out for your students. I'm definitly buying the next volume.

YES!!!
Finally, can't wait to check it out!

Got it before you even made an announcement, Jaime :D
Downloading @ screaminglessons.com :)

I am excited :)
Let us know what you think, Filip!

I have this too. I have listened the audio, read the manual and watched the video but didn't yet try anything. I am particularly interested in inhale scream (ptera...what?) and multi-harmonic scream...these sound pretty cool.

This may be a good deal if you are interested in extreme vocals. I didn't spot any extra ads or commercials which is a very good thing

If I can wish something I hope that there would be more video material and with better quality. Oh, and if there is going to be a sequel I hope it will cover more traditional styles (insert your 80s metal band here )

Is it downloadable or is it shipped to your house?

Filip S.
Got it before you even made an announcement, Jaime :D
Downloading @ screaminglessons.com :)

According to Filip, it is download (only, i assume).

Itis download only. The video and ebook are only bonuses, which is why it isn't long or amazing quality. I recorded it in one of my studios and realized I picked up LOTS of reverb, lol.

Volumes II and III have already been recorded and just need to be mixed, I'll add bonus vids and ebooks as well;)

It officially launches tomorrow. That was the call of the company who handles this project. But tomorrow, the screaminglessons.com will be ready. It's live now but we are reworking some things;)

Can't wait for Alice in Chains, Soundgarden- Vol III! Couldn't have asked for better users of grit

Tell you what guys, we've recorded the programs and are doing heavy edits, but if any of you want to list some songs/singers you'd like covered, I might be able to slip a few more in;) But think in terms of what I said I am covering, we'll get to bands like 30 seconds to Mars in Volume IV

FYI- Jaime Vendera and Jim Gillette doing some new vocal stuff together??? Hmmmm;)

How about Steven Tyler, Brad Delp, Doug Pinnick, and many of the lower voiced hard rock singers like Eddie Vedder, Maynard from Tool, Jim Morrison (when he goes into his more growly shouty rock voice)? How about freakin Bob Seger?

Tim "Ripper" Owens - his mid-voice rasp and his screaming rasp....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZdWve_E-Bo

My first post here, and it's a request. So let me start by saying thank you for RYV. I'm not new to singing, but I'm loving the program already.

To my request: Please please please cover Chris Cornell and Layne Staley. Cornell is my idol, and as far as I can tell, his method is magic. I know I can't sound like him, but I swear his screams sound like multiple layers of grit. To even come close would make me happy.

And Layne obviously has some great grit too.

You mentioned covering AIC and Soundgarden anyway, but I wanted to officially request it.

Thanks!

I second the request for covering Chris Cornell!, he is awesome!

I was going to get Volume I but I think I might wait for III now if Soundgarden and AIC is going to be covered...IV might be on my list too when I find out who else is on it!

Can you slip in SCOTT WEILAND of Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver, and JOSH TODD of Buckcherry, and CHAD KROEGER of Nickelback? Please? They have great rock rasp.

Modern Hard Rock rasp is the greatest.

Any chance of doing some Johnny Gioeli or Tony Harnell. I'd love to hear some covers of those guys, especially Rain and Tell No Tales by TNT.

Once sang the chorus of Tell No Tales to Harnell over Skype. He's used to me hitting crazy high notes, lol;) All good singers guys, yes we will get to them all;)

My version of TNT ... http://www.box.net/shared/dmzd6q6bcc
Thankfully I've trained my voice since...although it's still fun to listen to.

Purchasing link still not working...

Dio? Udo?

Thanos, that's a great cover. Your voice sounds really full on the top notes. Can't wait till I can get them like that. I used to just about get those notes in a mixed voice type sound, but then I realised it wasn't proper full voice, now my range is at about High C/C#. If you have any more covers let me know I'd love to hear them.

I wanted to help spread the word so I made a thread about the program on the Modern Vocalist's site. Glad to see a couple of guys bought it! m/
I'll get it soon.

Thanx Stan.
Don't forget we are giving
20% off ($5.00) through Monday!

Discount code is

fb20

Thanks Throttle ! I don't have other clips with notes that high I'm afraid ... that was too much for me already lol! I've got some clips on the tmv forum under the username akarawd - most are old and suck though.

Jaime, it's a shame things turned out that way man, the vids would have been very helpful.

I missed the discount.. maybe next time.

Regards,
Thanos

Don't worry Thanos, I'll make sure you know ahead of time for upcoming discounts. Plus, I talked to my partner. We will be eventually releasing the videos as well. Believe it or not, we have a lot of this stuff finished, but will be releasing periodically. We have four years of recordings, just been holding it back;)

You're a real gent as always. Thanks Jaime.

Looking forward to the unreleased material,
Thanos

That's great, Jaime! Thanks for being open. Can't wait for the finish products!

Can you show how to do vocal grit like ALEX JONES, the conspiracy theory guy?

The link works but hold up. Anyone who is my facebook friend may get 20% off. They are trying to fix issues and if they can, we'll post tomorrow and give 20% through Monday;)

Hey Jaime, I just downloaded it, that's good stuff.

Have you filmed the entire "interview" ? I'd be very interested in seeing
what he does with his tongue and maybe have some slow motion exercises on vid of how to do it.

Just a thought.

Kind Regards,
Thanos

There's video and audio and pics, but it's out of my hands. We'll wait and see what happens in the future. Now, I did push Brian to teach many years ago and he does teach privately now. Might be able to convince him to start teaching on Skype too;)

Bought it last night on my iPhone in a break between sets on gig. Downloaded after the gig and read/whatched/listened today. Even tried a few silent screams in my hotel room, but I'm afraid to scare the neighbours! They might think I'm having weird animals with me....

But I got results right away and already nailed some of the sounds. Will be screaming all the way home in my 3 hour car trip home tomorrow.

Nice material!

I bought it a few days back, and I'm not really sure what I think about it yet.

It wasn't really what I had in mind actually. I had this idea that it would be really thorough and kind of build from the basics, but it seems to me that you're expected to already, to some extent, be able to master these sounds when your'e starting out.

And for me, it isn't really working out, since I've never sung this kind of style before, I don't even know where to begin.

Don't get me wrong, there are some great tips and information in there, but I feel like I can't use that information since I don't even know how to make a proper, basic low-growl sound.

But I guess I'll have to work that one out in some other way, and maybe be able to use Exteme Scream in the future.

Anton,

Don't sweat it man, it is thorough and it is all there.Screaming doesn't get any simpler;) But it will take a bit of time and practice to get each scream. They won't happen immediately. You might just be over-thinking it; hey I did the same thing years ago...and I REALLY struggled! if I would've had this one volume, I would've attacked it like an animal and had my screams in a week;) People seem to think that screaming is this unreachable thing, but if you just listen to the program a few times and take your time playing with the sounds, you will find it;)

PS- If I were you Anton, I'd play around with mastering the Chewbacca and doing the fry sound so that it bounces off the roof of your mouth. Once you can do the both easily, then you can begin adding more grit. The reason I push the palate sensation on every thing I teach, from low-high, clean-gritty, is because you will always save your voice if you feel it in the palate;) Then you can begin adding the grit more and more, adding this vocal effect to your bag of tricks;) Rock on, I KNOW you will get it Anton!!! :)

Hey Jaime,

Its awesome to hear you're doing a program like this...I saw your request for other singers to cover...would you be able to add some thrash metal singers too? like James Hetfield (Metallica), Tom Araya (Slayer) and Chuck Billy (Testament).

Looking forward to seeing more of your material :)

some of my favorite singers that have done killer screams include layne staley, john lennon, paul mccartney,stephen tyler, chris cornell.

Will volume I cover screams in the style of Messhuga, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, etc? Also what styles does volume II cover?

Go to screaminglessons.com to learn about Volume I. There will actually be LOTS of volumes, several this year;)

I don't get how to distort my voice in the "aggravated way" it always hurt and I can't feel it in the roof of my mouth.

Practice and patience. You must learn to adjust the breath.

Jaime Vendera
Practice and patience. You must learn to adjust the breath.

So, feeling the sound in the roof of my mouth isn't about just trying? It has to do with breathing?

Just bought my copy!! I'm working on getting my voice back into shape so grit is the last thing on my list. I will listen to it and will promote it whenever I can.

Hey John, haven't heard from you in awhile. Hope you are doing well:)

I am now; I 'm rid of certain people in my life that were no good for me. I've been wanting to post more often but since my voice has deteriorated so much, I felt like a hypocrite and never did. You might see some youtube videos of me in a few months. A friend(wicked guitarist) and I are going to (for fun) do some Iron Maiden covers.

I need to find a camera that can handle high notes. All the ones I've come across are too weak. I just overwhelm the mic and it sounds terrible.

If anyone has a suggestion on a good camera with a good mic (and small price ), it would appreciated.

John I honestly think you should be posting more, don't suppress yourself :) I have read every post here, CVT forum and TMV forums (on my summer holiday...) and I recall you have written good stuff here.

John, the Blue eyeball webcam isn't bad. Or the Mikey for the iPhone, which will allow you to record video too I believe.

Hey Jaime, if you could throw in a Richie Kotzen grit lesson, that would be genius! If you don't know him, here-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAW-C9XV894. He's an insanely talented singer. Go to 0:40 for when he starts to use grit, thanks!

Will you cover some Chester Bennington and Anders Friden screams in the next lessons?
I'm trying to figure out how they do it and ryv and extrem screaming lessons 1 helped me a lot, just miss some more tips to nail it.
Thank you for all the energy you put in your lessons Jaime!

I will suppose I will not be able to do it until i have my breathing down I guess..