THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wrong Technique or going beyond my current limits?

I was just wondering if you were considered a baritone or a tenor.

I am considered to be a Baritone.

I actually recently played the role of "Gaston" in "Beauty And The Beast".

--But I never let that "label" limit me!

Oh no! I wasn't saying it as a limiting thing. I was just curious.

Good luck with that role. You seem to be a good actor as well as a great singer. Post some clips after you perform!

Sofus987

Here is a clip from the musical Evita where I played the role of Ché (me with the hat):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7WBg1BKcxw

Wow, that was really amazing.......can you tell me please, what mode or modes were you singing there and tell me the time of the modes, I would reaaaally appreciate it.
(I went briefly through CVT just yesterday and wonder if i get how do modes sound)

Alex,

Thanks a lot.

Can you instead give me a time and then I can tell you what mode is being used...that's a bit easier.

so for example the last few notes after 3:43, then from 0:29 to 0:50.......it's not like u are changing modes every other note, right? and also i wonder in CVT Katrin says that to achieve high notes you should raise larynx, which is kind of exact opposite of what SS teach, so i wonder if you do it...thanks

Alex,

From 3:43 it's: Edge > Overdrive > MLN (metal like neutral).

At 0:29 - 0:50 I'm changing between Curbing and Overdrive. The last long held note is Overdrive.

In regards to the larynx. For high notes you should allow your larynx to rise. And for lower notes you should let it lower.

I guess the reason why SS (and a lot of other teachers for that matter) says that you should have a stable larynx is because they somehow confuses avoiding constrictions with the position of the larynx.

Sofus987
That's great

Maybe you can post a clip of your singing that shows us what you've learned?

Am I detecting a hint of passive-aggressive condescension? That would not be cool. I never said I was an expert. I am just sharing what I have learned so far.

Not at all!

I was genuinely interested in how your work with Oiselle has helped your singing...that's all.

(Also note that english is not my first language..so I'm sorry if my writings sometimes send the wrong signals)

And thank you for your kind words by the way.

Ok, thanks man. I didn't want there to be any bad blood between us. I know my limits and I know I can always learn from someone who is better than me. It just sounded like that to me in my head. I am sorry for being so defensive. I'm still a bit shy about my voice. I'll post something when I have time to record. Where are you from?

Did you use Raise Your Voice to improve your voice?

Ben,

I'm cool...no hard feelings.

I live in Denmark in Europe. I first bought RYV about 5 years ago and afterwards I have gotten most of Jaime's material. I think it has a lot of valuable information...I espeically like the "release program", I study Logopedics (Speech Pathology) so I know the benefical things from massage etc. But as a training method I have always primarely used Complete Vocal Technique (CVT).

Thanks friend. What is your real first name? Denmark sounds like a very interesting country. I lived in Germany for three years and got to see quite a bit of Europe. I didn't make it to Denmark though. Perhaps I can one day.

I like RYV a lot, but some of it is confusing and I had to reread stuff like 20 times before I "got" it. I like to use the scale exercises that Jamie has more than the isolation method. I started from scratch as a singer about a year and a half ago. I was and still am confused about my voice sometimes. There are times when I sound kind of baritonish and other times when I sound like a tenor. I think I may be some kind of low tenor or high baritone naturally. My speaking voice isn't very low.I always wanted to sing with my guitar. I can sing pop and softer ballad stuff pretty well. I'm trying to work on getting more of an "edge" to my voice without hurting myself. I have no idea really how to do it.

CVT seems interesting. I hear a lot of good things about it. Can you tell me what it is all about?

My name is Martin.

Yeah it can be difficult to understand new things and concepts. CVT is no different in that regard.

If you want more "edge" you probably have to use more twang and maybe also what CVT calls a "metallic mode".

Here is two videos where Cathrine Sadolin the author CVT explaines the basics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUCQ00VIeiY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu6aPXoN3k0

LOL.. I always wondered where did The Martin go...Now I know.

I use the forum search function a lot :)

LOL....I'm still here.

Hi Martin, I'm Ben Stokes from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. Good to meet you.

I'll check out those videos. Thanks a lot! Rock on!

Ben from Atlanta, I was kinda hoping you'd say Ben Matlock, that'd be amusing. ;-)

hahahahhahahahh! I'd have a lot of senior-citizen fans. That's more than I have now. LOL!

i want voice lesson. really!

Hey sorry guys, I haven't been on here in a while... Too busy! But thanks Ben and Jaime for your positive feedback. BB, I'd love to help you with your voice... All of the advice in this thread is sound but sometimes it helps to have someone who knows what to listen for to tell you if you are doing the excises correctly and if not, what is going on and how to correct yourself.

You can contact me at valbastien@gmail.com if you're still interested :)

Thanks man! It is really hard to think inhalation sensation when doing full voice exercises especially when reaching higher notes!