THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jaime help - screaming !

Hi Jaime, I bought your book and I really need some live guidelines. Since I'm extreme vocalist(power metal, prog) I'm experiencing great difficulties in performance without proper grit/rasp effect in my voice and I was forcing it all the time from the throat, in your book RYV you mentioned low fry-grit, reinforced falsetto and powerpush but how can I get that effect or when I can grit/scream like Heiman in terms of how long of sticking and practicing those exercises, I'm somehow half-desperate because sometimes I could gain it and than sing e.g. Masterplan or cover Jan Thore Grefstad until the moment of high pitched screams where I forced myself and failed. If you have experience with desperate-to-get-proper and powerful screaming technique vocalists than help and assume I can't perform properly because I really feel it's the only and one of the most important vocal elements in metal/heavy rock singing I'm missing and the worst thing is that I could affect my cords with nodules or polyps and I'm just 21. So can you tell exactly what exercises I should stick with and in how long daily intervals. The main goal is to install it in my voice in such way I could perform e.g. Blind Guardian, Masterplan, SymphonyX without negative affection.

And one more thing I'm a high pitched singer and I'm experiencing difficulties in gaining those high notes without grunt and without experiencing that raspy blockade in my nasal area--

So RED ALERT, help if you have time and will; I'd appreciate it sometimes the written word is not enough(at least in this case)

PS. Melissa Cross's Zen of Screaming is one of the most fictional and horrible singing advices packs for extreme singers, she really spent half of those movies creating self commercials and marketing without even mentioning what to do if you firstly need root to scream so the course is both for those already armed with the effects within their voices and her egotrip bigger than Russia!

Re: Jaime help - screaming !

Hey Buddy, I like Melissa's Scream Extra cd which fills in what she left out on Zen I. Sounds like you need one-on-one. I teach online if you need that type guidance. Everyone is different with their screams and sometimes that's what it takes. If you want to book a lesson, click on the lessons link on jaimevendera.com and we will work out a regimen just for you...Bt know that you MUST put in the time with your pure voice in order to master the screams;)

I agree that Melissa Crosses first DVD lacks a lot of information. The second one is much better. But screaming and rasp are very hard to teach/learn. I learned how to add rasp from a combination of watching video's, reading books, some lessons from Jaime, and just trial and error. Screaming for me was almost completely trial and error.

Its important to keep your rasp/screaming practices to a short period of time at first, so you don't hurt yourself. Eventually you will figure out a way that doesn't hurt; then you can nurture that sound until it becomes something that sounds great and you can do it for long periods of time with no effort.

Practicing every day after that is very important. It will reinforce the technique and build endurance. If you take a few days off, its going to take you a little while to get everything back to where it was.

But taking a lesson with Jaime is definitely the most effective way to getting everything right. It will cut out a lot of that trial and error.

Andrew, I wanted to say that I watched one of your A7X cover videos. I was blown away, great job!!!

Jaime, ca you give me some numbers I'd like to but I'm not able to pay $100 per hour even if I'd like to meet you. Just tell me how much of low grit per day so I won't blow my voice up and also how much other exercises
so I can get that grit feeling

I'd only do 5-10 minutes a day of playing around with the low grit in the beginning. Once you get used to it, it'll be much easier. Lots of the stuff we are doing in preparation for recording has tons of grit in it. In fact, we did four hours last night and it doesn't really ever bother my throat. All about support and placement;)

Well I'm feeling progress and I'm not blowing my voice anymore(I'm fast learner). Thx man ;)

hehe teach me all your secrets of the middle range and il teach you all mine about high pitch screaming ;)