THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lost my perspective - I need your opinion (Nevermore/Narcosynthesis)

Thanks a lot for the reply Alkis (yes I'm Greek:-)).

I totally agree with you , just one thing - I'd be grateful if you could specifically indicate one of the parts that's off so I can really get my head around the voice area you mean.

About the pronunciation of the Cs and Ss - these are the kind of sounds I'm trying to correct ; do you have any suggestions on how to do that ? All my recordings suffer in that area ...

http://www.box.net/shared/ihtiksf6km
http://www.box.net/shared/5jmhc8ssik
http://www.box.net/shared/amlbffk68m (disregard that last note)

Thanks again,
Thanos

PS. Do you have a link to your band/artist page ?

Hey,

sorry it took so long to reply, pretty busy.

Well, a few examples of bits that sound off are:

First chorus: First "narcosynthesis", high voice.
Second chorus: Both "come to this", high voice.
Bridge: "Hourglass", middle voice (the backing voice deep in the background).
Third chorus: "What are you searching for", backing voice.
Forth chorus: "cold", low voice.

It's almost always the lowest note in a passage for that voice, which sounds like loss of support.

Another thing I did not mention last time, that is a stylistic thing and a personal opinion more than anything: Vibrato. Deep vibrato. Add it. Lots of it. :-)

Now, about the C's and the S's etc.... good luck. I still have that problem, unless if I consciously focus into a specific consonant sound, which is not easy while performing. I think that a way to approach it, if you're not a lazy as me that is, would be to take a new song that's within your singing abilities, and focus on each word, then each passage. Learn how the singer pronounces each syllable pretty much. Then once that song is down, just try and say everything else in that accent.

The important thing is to have a target accent and stick to it, be that British or American. If you waiver and are unsure of how to say a word, it will sound inconsistent and it will take your concentration away from other aspects of performing.

Just make sure the singer who's accent you are trying to assimilate has a good and clear accent to start with, do not learn how to do an American accent by listening to Tim Owens, for example... ;-)

As to my artist page, well, I haven't been in a band in something like 5 years now, but I have several recordings on youtube.

In chronological order:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to point out each line man, I appreciate it. And yes , you're right both about the fact that they're out of tune and that the lowest part of the high vocals sound like the lack support ; that's what you get when you don't learn the notes properly. It's sth I'm working hard on lately.

Vibrato, love it, if you check my 2nd post, the examples have got bucket loads of it.

You made a very interesting point about sticking to a brit or us pronunciation, however I have to admit that Tim Owen's accent not being a clear one is sth I had never paid attention to. Sounds like a detail I have to (and will) get my head round to.

Great singing dude with really cool rasp, very convincing !

Thanks again Alkis !
Thanos