THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vocal stamina and unconfortable environment for your voice..

Hey there,

before asking my questions I want to point out few things:

- I eat very well. I have very good "singers diet" (I guess it can be called like that). I don't eat almost any sugar, fast food, fat etc... don't smoke... don't drink alcohol pretty often... no coke or similar drinks... I eat pretty much healthy food, lots of vegetables, fruits etc... lots of water... So I guess my nutrition for vocal health is the best possible that it can be.
- I avoid losing my voice through singing. Whenever it hurts of it feels uncomfortable I stop.
- I exercise (fitness)
- I do everything possible to keep my voice in best shape!

Now, after saying that... all this helped me get some stamina or singing endurance, call it what you like :)

But still, I have this big problem that I lose my voice very fast in unhealthy environment...

For example, I was practicing few new songs last month, they were pretty demanding to sing, but I learned them pretty good... For last few weeks I sang them great! And yesterday, there was some acoustic show of my friends where I was to sing a couple of songs and play on guitar in between their two sets as a guest. I was so happy that I will sing my new learned songs.
But then, when I arrived to the gig, the environment was so uncomfortable to my voice... It was full of cigarette smoke, the music was pretty loud so when I had to talk with some friends I had to talk a bit louder then normally, and I just drank one beer (with a lot of water after it) but I guess it also had effect on my vocals.
So basically I was there only 1 hour before I was to sing but my voice was pretty wasted by then, and I chose to sing some easier songs because my throat was not the healthiest at the time. I still sang those songs pretty good and was very well accepted by audience, they all told me I stole the show (I'm not so full of my self every day, it's only sometimes hehe) but I am now pretty unhappy that I trashed my voice in only one hour through passive smoking, drinking one beer, talking over loud music... but usually those are things you can't skip if you go to friend's gig...

So basically question is: anyone has any tips on how to do it? protecting your voice from "passive" (or should I say un-intentional) abuse... How do you do it when you go to a loud party where you are about to sing a bit later on? What can we do to prevent ourselves from loosing our voice there...

;)

Re: Vocal stamina and unconfortable environment for your voice..

if you haven't been around cigarette smoke for a while it can really screw you up. recently i was in japan, and their cigarettes are different, i think they are stronger. they don't have laws about smoking in restaurants, people were smoking around me. when i went to bed my throat was very itchy, and next morning i had a ******* sore throat like i was sick, and it took a week to go back to normal. its conditioning, if you are around unhealthy things your body gets used to it. BUT, when i say "gets used to it" it doesn't mean that the damaging affects aren't happening, THEY ARE, its that your body stops whinging about them. unfortunately its one of those things where, if you want to peform, you will have to put up wtih it. all you can do is try to minimise which you already know (stop talking loudly, go outside a lot for air, drink a lot of water) the more you perform in smokey bars the better you will get used to it, but it aint exactly the healthiest thing, so like you already do, make sure you keep your healthy lifestyle in check with correct foods etc.

btw dude, be careful about the whole "low fat" stuff. make sure you DO eat fat, but its gotta be from a healthy source (butter, milk, coconut, nuts etc)