THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What do you think about Singing Success program?

For adding power to high notes, have you tried adding more twang? That helps me. Also, why would you not want to add support? It's not that difficult to understand and utilise and it helps massively in your sound production. What benefits could there be to using absolutely no support? That just doesn't make any sense.

Whilst we are on this subject, I want to share 2 videos with you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_7zadbYsdw&feature=player_embedded

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTY9vmK5nnw&feature=player_embedded

These could have been off nights. Maybe he was sick. Just seems to me that a teacher should be able to practice what he preaches.

Nathan propably answered for Phil, but yeah I've seen those videos and they absolutely suck :D

Another thing that I don't get about Brett Manning is how he propably doesn't understand what support means. He says in CD1 that "They (who is 'they' anyway) tell you to give it more support, which means push harder". Somewhere else he says that support means to push more air. But support is the thing that resist the air from escaping all at once right? High notes need less air and more support? Tell me if I'm right about this :)

But what I care is only to get the results that I want and in that sense I don't care if Brett sings bad himself if his method and exercises work for me. SS seems to be an easy step by step program with good exercises and it matches the goals I have for myself now. The exercises seem to be just right for me too. Also the best teacher ain't always the best singer/player/performer and vice versa. I know an amazing self-learned singer who wasn't able to give me too many practical tools even though he uses his own voice amazingly with huge range, power and tone.

And yeah I don't really regret buying SS I'm really happy about it and I looking forward to it. It's just that it's out there as a torrent too... :) But when I get the results I want it is worth any price.

By the way I recorded a "before" recording so after the SS program I can record again and listen for the difference. If you want to listen to it and comment then please:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8384032/OzzySlantAngels.mp3

Dude, I really like the tone of your voice. You could be a really amazing singer. Is that you playing piano too? I hear some hints of James Labrie on your higher notes. With a little more control you will be amazing bro.

That was really awful! I´ve always wanted to watch Brett Manning singing, not anymore...

To be really honest, I find it really annoying that many vocal coaches don´t show how they sing. If I would have to buy a method by how the author sings I´ve definitely will buy Ken Tamplin´s method, that guy voice is amazing, so cool!

Thanks a lot Ben! I didn't play on that track, it's a backing track I downloaded from youtube. I do play guitar by the way :)

Oh I'm so in love with my voice even though I'm not near the technical skills, freedom, sounds and "touch" that I can and will achieve soon enough! But I just love singing and I love my voice, and even on my crappiest days I wouldn't change my voice for anyone else's :) And I do have huge goals with my music career. Wow there are not too many things that are as satisfying than having improvement with your greatest passion.

Ozzy if you like SS then you might also like Seth Riggs' book Singing for the Stars as well as Roger Love's Set Your Voice Free. Seth is the grandpa of whole thing and Roger is his student. I don't personally have SS so no comment for that, I have seen some of the videos though. Both books I mentioned come with CD and are obviously much cheaper than SS and they contain less exercises. But none of these are very rock oriented...

Thanks capehill I'm gonna keep those in mind for future. Now I already have the Singing Success program and I use it as a workout routine (just a couple of additional things from RYV and CVT though) and I really like it. I don't mind that it isn't so rock-orientated. Right now I'm looking for some lighter tones anyway and a really effortless and natural way to produce them with ease and make them sound rich and resonant, mmm :) Then I can add some edge to it, kind of like Adam Lambert. Yeah that's what I'm going for!