THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Perfect/Absolute Pitch

Hey guys, your posts are pretty old, and I'm really curious in developing perfect pitch, so do you have any more information about it? I've also bought DVB curse and like everyone else was too lazy to complete it, but after listening to him for a while, it's easy for me if i play a note on piano or guitar and focus on the sound of it, then play same note octave higher or lower to hear the same sound and like this i can play another note and so on, I'm able to hear the "color" of notes but that's only if they are played one at the time and it's hard to remember what color is what note since the colors are similar to each other. So I wonder, if anyone have actually acquired real complete perfect pitch by following any course or whatever approach.

i guess not

Sorry, I don't have perfect pitch, just pretty good relative pitch and I consider it to be all I need for most intents and purposes, so I can't help you.

Thanks for informing me about that program Pitch has been a ***** to me too.
I have started to improve though.
1.-Using Earmaster training software.
2.-Doing grounding exercises. A form of meditation that puts you more into your body and helps you to be present with your voice. That is listening.

can you tell me more about the meditation technique? jiyasa@hotmail.com

DLB may be right that there are colors to the tones, but I found the Perfect Pitch course to be largely unhelpful for its intended purpose of developing a mnemonic for remembering the tones. As a guitarist, I'd say that knowing what pentatonic scale to play by ear is easily the most important tone specific skill you can have (and is far easier to accomplish). As a vocalist, know how to pace yourself and respect your voice (if you want to keep it). For me, I can pick up most songs without much difficulty, but when there is a temptation to emulate some of the bad habits of the singer, I try to avoid those bad habits or at least minimize the effect of them.

Perfect Pitch takes time and dedication. It's not as important a goal right now to me. As long as I have an idea what kind of chord I am hearing and what I previously heard, I can fill in the missing gaps.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to agree that Earmaster training software is very helpful.

I don't have perfect pitch but it has gotten a lot better.

My wife however does have perfect pitch. She will only admit to having taken piano lessons as a little girl, but if I ever get the real secret out of her I will share it with the message board

Doug