THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
original melodies & pitch

I've noticed that if I just try to "jam" melody lines on my songs, my pitch is way off because i have nothing to reference too. So what I need to do is compose a melody line, then memorize it so that I know i'm on pitch. i find this annoying because the ideas in my head are hard to specifically get down, it'd be cool if I could somehow just jam the idea, and through some plugin make the pitch perfect, then just practice that as my melody line and then re-sing it.

How do you guys go about doing original melody lines? at the moment i'm singing ideas, and then trying to play them on guitar then compose those in guitar pro (composing program) so that i can memorize and sing them. or do you all have perfect pitch and can just jam out anything with good ptich?

Re: original melodies & pitch

Er, if you're jamming melodies over songs you've already recorded parts for, of course you have a reference, you have the key of the song through the riffs, chords etc. You're working on intervals of that key.

If there's a song playing, I can jam anything on it and that is not perfect pitch, that's just good relative pitch that is essential for a singer! There's a good way to practice it, let a single root note (or chord) play and start singing the same an octave higher. Then start adding notes to create licks. You could do scales if you want instead but licks are far better to work your improv skills. Rinse and repeat until you can feel the intervals automatically.

Learn to play some scales on guitar, not singing exercises, but major and minor scales, pentatonic, blues, etc, and solfege them. I don´t have perfect pitch but most of the scales colors are in my head. Scat singing also works fine.

so when you guys just jam over your songs with your voice, then put up a tuner to check your pitch it's always perfectly green? This is what I'm asking. Your idea about practicing intervals sounds like it'll fix the problem thanks.

Alkis Tsapanidis
Er, if you're jamming melodies over songs you've already recorded parts for, of course you have a reference, you have the key of the song through the riffs, chords etc. You're working on intervals of that key.
this is what i'm saying, that my pitch won't be 100% jamming the "intervals" of that key. your recommendation of practicing intervals sounds pretty good, i'll work on that more