THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So how do you properly belt?

I was just wondering, how do singers like Dio, Cornell, Jorn Lande belt stuff out so loud and powerful? What's the secret behind it? Are you basically shouting but adding a crapload of support?

Re: So how do you properly belt?

I'm far from being an expert, but unless i'm missing something, i'm pretty sure it's all in the support. if you take your correct abdominal breath, and squeeze harder according to the needs of the note you should be able to hit high notes without feeling it in the throat. as jaime says on the video with jonathan spencer, you should never feel it in the throat. feel it below in the chest, or above in the head, but not in the throat. if you feel it in the throat it usually means you were lazy on your support. seriously it's all in the book, you may need to re-read it. i found myself getting slack ont he support, and once i re-read and re-practiced it my range shot up from a c5 to a D5 on the day, then a week later a f5. i am far from being able to use these notes in singing as the mouth shapes (consonants and vowels) make it harder but practice fixes that.

Thanks a lot, Phil. So you're basically shouting rather than "singing" but using more support? I always thought that's what it was.

i don't know. i'm singing. it's just you need to push harder with the abdomen more to reach higher notes, in order to prevent the strain in the throat. if you don't support enough you'll be "shouting" from the throat. seriously, go through the breating and support stuff again in the book, try to sing notes, you'll instantly see how much fuller and easier they are, low, mid and high, it's all easier, support is the key without it you'll never hit high notes.

Isn´t RYV a book devoted to belting?

So how would you define "belting"? English is not my native language so the word doesn't say too much to me. Example song would help.