THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My Challenge!

TJ

The claim you made that sucralose will screw up your thyroid, do you have a source I can look at.

I've done some research, and it seems that in high doses it can cause some damage to the thymus, but not the thyroid.

If you look into the doses used, you'll see why the NICNAS ruled that it isn't a danger to public health.

It was found that animals with a dosage of 3,000mg/kg/day had lower mean thymus weights, and that the threshold for immunotoxicity or any deleterious immunological effects was 750mg/kg/day.

The average male is about 190lbs, which is 86.36kg.
86.36 x 0.75g(750mg) = 64.77g

So the average adult male would have to eat at least 64.77g every day to do damage. This is far more than the average consumption.

Here's a link to the study if you want to see it:
http://www.nicnas.gov.au/publications/car/new/NA/NAFULLR/NA0900FR/NA944FR.pdf

I really don't think people should be worrying about sucralose unless they're using a lot of it.
At least it's not as bad as Aspartame!

My bad =)
I said thyroid when I should've said thymus.
I got my "thighs" confused. lol

TJ Vox
I was just out walking and I thought of one more to add to my list:

7. Since you're reducing sugar, DO NOT turn to artificial sweeteners instead!
-Aspartame (aka Nutrasweet) is poison and should be banned.
-Sucralose (aka Splenda) will screw up your thyroid.
-Saccharin (aka Sweet-n-Low) is also garbage.

If you have to use a sweetener, use stevia or molasses. Molasses *is* basically sugar, but it contains a ****load of vitamins and minerals - pretty much all the decent stuff they remove from sugar cane in the process of refining sugar. It's sort of the "whole grain of sugars".

By the way, you don't have to suffer through eating salad without dressing. Get some balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Wishbone has some that's made with olive oil. Fats and oils aren't your enemy. Including healthy oils in your diet is very important. What you want to stay away from are saturated fats. If you see "hydrogenated" on the ingredients list then it ain't good for you.

TJ Vox hit hte nail on the head there. remove all FAKE sugar from your diet, but that doesn't mean you can't go without sweeetness. Have as much raw honey and molasses as you want, they are sweet (especially honey) and good for you. return to nature, it has over 6 billion years of evolutionary science, our man made products cannot compare.

another myth is "saturated fats are bad" wrong. man made yes, natural no. coconut is mostly saturated fat, it's extremely good for you. have as much NATURAL fat as you want. as i said, man made stuff is what you need to stay away from. if you are exercising and have a diet consisting ONLY of natural foods you will never get a cold again.

health is amazingly simple, remove anything that's been tampered with by man (only eat natural foods, ie things that aren't in a packet, ie fruit and veg) and exercise (running is the easiest way to lose weight). i recommend water fasting as well, that is by far the quickest, and anyone saying it's dangerous has never done it before and read too much without actually doing.

this topic is my expertise so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, but really i've summed it all up there. anything not naturally occuring in nature is considered waste when you eat it and will over time block your colon which is how you get disease., look at the ingredients of things you buy, even bread you will find looks like a science experiment. much of what you see in the supermarket isn't food.

i don't eat meat, but you can if you want, the problem arises when you cannot eliminate it within 72 hrs as it rots inside you and thats how you get disease(i've never met anyone who can elimiante it within 72 hrs other than people who live outside of our society in tribes). in order to eat meat and eliminate it properly requires you to be eating a perfect diet of all natural foods, and fasting to clear the years of eating fake foods. i've been eating real foods for over a year and even i am still clogged from 20 years of bad eating, i fasted for 2 weeks and was still ****ting out hardened "rocks" stuff that's trapped up there for years. but if you are going to eat meat, stay away from pig/pork/swine/bacon or whatever you want to call it. there are many that say simply cooking it will remove the trichinosis worm, but there are also many that disagree with this. i know from someone who i trust that looked under the microscope that told me he had to cook it until it was LITERALLY charred black and even then only removed 90% of it. Worms aren't an issue if you are a vege as they only feed on dead rotting tissue.

Stan
I'm in the process of maintaining my desired weight. I've become fat as well the past year. One thing I've learned is not to go entirely crazy over this stuff... You don't have to follow a healthy diet all the way... just don't over eat any of the junk, for instance...instead of having two pizzas, eat one and always work out. I hate a lot of that healthy food too. So I need to lose 25 pounds. Hopefully, I can do it by November.

problem is with "healthy diets" is that a lot of what people think they know about "healthy diets" is just government indoctrination ie "salt is bad, cholestorl is bad, fat is bad". if it's from nature is' good for you, ie. REAL SALT is compulsory if you want to live, it's processed cocain looking powdered salt with anti caking agent that you need to cut out. saturated fat is fine if it's from nature ie raw milk, coconut, butter, cheese, it's fake fat you need to watch out for ie processed chips etc.

a true healthy diet of all natural foods is very fullfilling, those who hate it are those that are addicted to dead processed foods and have a broken tongue, fasting can fix this addiction. a pear is the sweetest natural thing you'll eat and it's truly a dessert, if people cannot see that then their tongue is broken

This is great :) Good on you for taking charge of your life. Visualize yourself every morning and night with your ideal weight. Feel happy and proud of your accomplishments every day. Good luck!

Val

good point oiselle, visualisation really does help craft your reality, if you can't see it, how can you attain it? wish you well john with your endeavour.

Thanks again for the encouraging words and good advice. I did fall off the wagon a few times this week, due to odd hours at work etc..However I did lose exactly 2 pounds!

58 more to go!!

I decided that I should practice what I preached. I already do everything I suggested previously in this thread, with the exception of sugar. I decided I'd totally cut out sugar and also cut way way back on the amount of OJ and grape juice I have been drinking. I had been consuming a fair amount of brown sugar, molasses, and honey as sweeteners in coffee, green tea, and iced tea.

From cutting out all sugar and nearly all fruit juice I lost 4 lbs last week. =)

if its natural sugars from foods and honey/molasses it's fine man, just don't use the man made ****e. don't want to cut out healthy stuff like that, just the bad man made ****e. if that's what your doing then sorry for misundersatnding

"Did you know that singers produce a certain amino acid which causes weight gain?" - Bruce Dickinson

Stan
"Did you know that singers produce a certain amino acid which causes weight gain?" - Bruce Dickinson

Where is this from? Is there research to support this? Just curious.

Keep in mind that this is Bruce we're talking about, he has quite a sense of humour.

forget "scientific proof" learn to tap into observational "science" (thats what i like to call it anyway). there are just as many fat singers as there are skinny singers. so clearly even if it's true it obviously doesn't have much of an effect. now take this into observation: how many people eat a diet of ALL natural foods without ANY processed junk AND exercise DAILY and are fat? i've never seen anyone that's fat that follows this lifestyle. if they are fat then they are failing in these areas in one way or another. biggest problem i find is fat people who genuinely think they are doing all the things right, thats' why a lot of the time they need an outside person who has genuine health to observe what they're doing and can pinpoint and go AH! see how many chemicals are in this thing you think is "bread"??? and they'll say "ohh i dind't realise that was bad". and you don't even exercise! and then they'll go "but i don't have time". I don't know anyone with more hobbies than myself, every day i have to work like anyone else, then come home, and practice bass, guitar, piano, singing, martial arts, recording, and exercise like weightlifting or running. i don't even really get to just sit down and do nothing, but it's alright cos i love the stuff i do. 20 minutes every day on your thing is enough to see improvement so i'll spend about 20mins on each skill roughly some more some less, every day is better than 1 big hit once a week of skill practice. skill is developed by doing something everyday, even if you can do just a little it seriously adds up but it must be EVERY DAY

forget "scientific proof" learn to tap into observational "science" (thats what i like to call it anyway).

Science is observational pretty much by definition. You observe the results of processes that you may or may not have initiated. By definition.

Haha, that's something Bruce said on the making of A Matter of life and Death DVD. I'm sure he was kidding around. The producer replies back going, "Does that have anything to do with your massive ego?" .. something like that.

Alkis Tsapanidis
forget "scientific proof" learn to tap into observational "science" (thats what i like to call it anyway).

Science is observational pretty much by definition. You observe the results of processes that you may or may not have initiated. By definition.

my point is that people don't use observation. they always quote something they read. some guy the other day was telling me fasting was bad. he's never done it. he was operating on BELIEF of something he read. I kept asking how he knew, and he kept quoting things he read. I asked him how he knew those things were true. He coudln't tell me how he knew they were right, he was basically operating on faith. Now i can find just as much science backing up fasting as i can science saying it's dangerous. the same guy was telling me that tofu is unhealthy. this guy gets sick all the time, i never get sick. who am i going to listen to? i only take health advice from people healthier than me, not people who are more "well read" than me.
The proof is in doing. Apply information.

my point is that people don't use observation. they always quote something they read.

Sure, but they should. Science is not reading papers and taking the information for granted, science only advances by challenging things and proving them right or wrong.

some guy the other day was telling me fasting was bad. he's never done it.

I don't have an opinion on this, other than that it takes a lot of restraint that I know I don't have

he was operating on BELIEF of something he read. I kept asking how he knew, and he kept quoting things he read. I asked him how he knew those things were true. He coudln't tell me how he knew they were right, he was basically operating on faith. Now i can find just as much science backing up fasting as i can science saying it's dangerous.

Well, that's his failing. He needs to read papers for and against the principle, study their methodologies and if he believes (as in have it on good authority) that their studies were conducted in the right manner he can draw conclusions on whether it's good or not. There are not absolutes anyway, "good" for what and "bad" for what?

the same guy was telling me that tofu is unhealthy. this guy gets sick all the time, i never get sick.

There has been a lot of internet paranoia about this. All I have to say is that not very much is unhealthy as part of a balanced diet. If you eat nothing but tofu, I'm sure it's unhealthy... as is pretty much every thing else man can eat. :-P

I will never take a "well read" man who has never done the activity seriously, when they are trying to tell me I am wrong. Much of the learning is in the doing, and far too many people don't DO. The reason why it isn't good enough to just research is because if you do your research thoroughly (which many don't, they look at one source and conclude that it's settled), you will find just as much against what you are researching as you will find just as much FOR it, in terms of evidence. I can't remember the last thing I researched that was truly "settled", there's always a lot of science for and against it, that's why one must actually apply the knowledge. if they don't want to apply the knowledge then they have no business arguing with someone that actually HAS applied it.

did you know there are many independent scientific groups that are saying our current theory of gravity is "primitive" and is "holding us back"? that is simply the level of how much science appears to NOT BE SETTLED anywhere. I personally don't have a clue, so I won't laugh at someone that says something like that, it helps me keep an open mind. much of what we think is based on belief, and the phrase "scientifically proven" should not give the added oomph and political weight that it seems to do.