THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Are head rolls good for the neck muscles?

I never understood this thing about normal things being "dangerous". people say it all the time, usually people who have never tried it. i get a lot of weak people who have never done deadlifts tell me deadlifts are bad for the back. if they would shut their mouth and do them for a few weeks they would see that it is the best way to avoid problems with your back by strengthening it. the reason why you can turn your head the way you can is because its not dangerous. you can't turn your head 360 degrees because you will break your spine. notice how the body is designed so brilliantly yet we think we're smarter? notice how the people saying not to use your body are people who aren't extremely strong/healthy

if your neck hurts when you turn it, it means its weak and needs exercise. it amazes me when people do situps and say that their neck hurts so they avoid it. how do i know? i used to have a weak neck.

the best way to strengthen your neck is through wrestler bridges. indian wrestlers have done them for hundreds of years.

lie on your back, and have your feet flat on the floor. elevate yourself so that your head/forehead is resting on the floor, and your back and butt is off the ground, supported by your feet. this will make your legs spine and neck very strong. when you can hold this for 3 minutes you'll never get neck pains or back pains again.

by the way if you are doing neck "rolls" as you call them, don't do them the way i see other doing them. do them very slowly, because most of us probably don't have necks used to moving alot therefore the muscles holding them are very tense. moving your body rapidly while tensing against the force IS a good way to injure yourself (this is not the body's bad design, it is a result of our ignorance to the development of ourselves). lack of flexibility is because of too much tension int he muscles. this is why people who bounce around forcing stretching when they try the splits are doing themselves tendon damage, they are fighting against muscle that want to contract out of fear. relax the muscles and you get more flexible (this is a long term achievement), do your neck rolls slowly so that you can willingly tell your muscles to relax, when you hit a spot that it hurts, slow right down and try to get the muscles to relax before rolling to the next area. relaxing your vocal chords to sing higher isn't the only thing relaxing relates to. relaxation = high skill in EVERY discipline.

Re: Are head rolls good for the neck muscles?

I think this rumour about "tearing off muscle fibres" may come from the slight crunching sound you hear when you haven't done head rolls before or in a long time.
This crunching is actually the breaking down of calcium, deposited near the joint due to inaction.
It's totally normal, and if you do headrolls regularly, you'll never hear the sound again, and have a far more relaxed neck.