THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Contemplating Giving Up

benbonewilly im also a baritone, a lighter typ but still :P if youd want a more rock approach twang is the **** for us baritones! :D

Hey Jens,

I like being a baritone. Jim Morrison is my favorite rock singer, so it helps me sing stuff by the Doors. I'm learning to use some low grit on my voice getting a little more agressive with the "angry" attitude. The wife likes it. LOL! I'm not a low baritone either. I sing a lot of James Taylor's stuff pretty easily in chest voice. I can't make it past a G4 note. I hear you about the twang. I was actually using too much of it when I wasn't wanting to. I had to actually learn to back off it a little and get a warm sound. Now I can do both. Learning all this crap is really fun to me. I always always wanted to sing and I'm so happy that I can do it now.

Thats great mate thats how it's supposed to be! :D I like being a baritone to, It's funny how much you actualy can do with your voice. low grit/distortion is a blast ;)

I think a lot of folks think that being a baritone is a hindrance when it comes to singing rock. I think it's a blessing. It's easier to be original since there aren't as many. Besides, Elvis Presley was a baritone, nuff said there. LOL! Most of my favorite singers are baritones too. Not just rock.

Phil Anselmo is a baritone, Rob Halford is almost definitely a baritone and I'd go as far as stating that Warrel Dane is a bass considering how low he can go and how deep his voice is.

I think that Axl Rose was a baritone too. At least that is what he sounds like to me.

I'm not sure what I am... I think I'm a tenor. Do you go by the lowest note or the highest? ...I THINK my lowest note is a G2...and my highest is a G5...

I think that where your passagios happen, where you feel the most comfortable singing, and quality of tone are what determines your voice type more than just how high or low you can sing. I can sing some low tenor stuff, but I'm definitely not "at home" there. I sing comfortable from G2-G4 and I switch gears from chest voice at about Bflat3 or so. Vocal range can be extended higher and lower, but where does your voice naturally fall?

Naturally fall? As far as my speaking voice goes? ...or? Sorry, I'm not good with vocal classification and stuff like that..

How high or low can you sing effortlessly? Where do you transition from chest to middle voice and from middle voice to head voice? Does your voice sound better when you sing low or high naturally? I know that the term "better" is subjective.

I start going into head voice 5-6 notes after Middle C...

Honestly, I can't even tell LOL.

Sorry for the late reply guys. Had a busy day yesterday and couldn't record. Just finished some recordings now though, had to use windows sound recorder... So the quality of recording will probably be a bit crappy (distorted and probably unclear mostly... Cannot wait to buy pro tools :P).

The clips aren't too long, a verse and a chorus, so basically 1 minute each.

I'll be honest, I've been so disheartened recently that I've not even listened to the clips (except the last one). I feel if I listened to them I'd probably... I dunno... cry or something :/

Apologies in advance for your loss of hope for humanity after hearing my recordings:

http://www.box.net/shared/ho0b6gs5z0 - In Joy and Sorrow - HIM
I thought I'd show how I sound at my low end with this song.

http://www.box.net/shared/qbozxkz45s - Superstition - Stevie Wonder.
Just thought this might be a good demo of everything, but mostly upper chest.

http://www.box.net/shared/s2pozutp23 - Cry me a river - Justin Timberlake.
Just another overall demo, probably more dominantly upper chest.

http://www.box.net/shared/iayn0rbbd7 - Moondance - Van Morrison.
Did this song recently and people said it sounded pretty good... I still am not convinced, but thought I'd give it a go.

http://www.box.net/shared/4828mvzt0c - The number of the beast - Iron Maiden (OMG!!)
Yeah... so my intention was to see how my head voice belting sounded... not good is the conclusion. Admittedly this sounded a lot better when I was able to use pro tools at school... If I get a chance, I'll try recording a clip next time. But currently its ruined a lot by windows sound recorder (and mostly my lack of vocal ability).

Okay, so thats me... I await an influx of "You're right... Never sing again!" comments... Have fun :/

Hey Nathan,

You have to potential to be a really great singer. I like the tone of your voice. There are several areas that I think you could work on and sound amazing.

Your pitch seems to waiver a lot on your lower notes on the HIM song. Try keeping your breathing and placement engaged. I think if you relax and breathe properly and don't try to force the sound it will be better. You seem to have a lot of tension in your voice when you sing your higher notes. Proper breathing and just "letting your voice go there" with good placement will help you sound better on the high notes. You also seem to over enunciate your words too much. It just doesn't sound natural on some words. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Be more natural and conversational. I think if you just relax and let your voice go a bit you could sound really really amazing. You've got the potential. Superstitious didn't sound too bad. Try workin on this stuff and polish it and it'll be great. The Iron Maiden song is in a bad key for you. It's too high at least the high parts. You aren't yet capable of singing like that. Keep in mind that Bruce Dickenson is an AMAZING singer with a great range that has been singing for many decades. I mean he's amazing amongst amazing singers. Don't be discouraged. You can do it, man. Sorry I said "amazing" so much :)

Hey man, big props for posting those clips. I think they're very valuable for people here so that they can possible help you. Note that I'm a singer and not a vocal coach, so keep that in mind. But here's what I think:

If you fix some breath issues (which was the FIRST thing that I heard that obviously needs work) and issues with confidence, you have the potential to become a great singer, man! I listened to those clips. They aren't half as bad as you make them out to be.

I suggest you do tons of easy lip roll exercises. I hope you know what I mean by that. The reason is because your breath control isn't good enough.

Secondly, you often begin a phrase by singing it very well, but END the phrase sounding not confident. Sometimes it's just a matter of realizing that EVERY SINGLE PART of a sung sentence matters, from the onset to the final sound. A friend of mine is like that and I used to be like that. To fix it, simply try to sing those songs again and focus on keeping that same good sound in your voice throughout, even for the last couple of seconds.

If it's an issue of you putting a vibrato at the end of the phrases, which it could be, you might want to practise just vibrato on some long notes. I actually think you often break a bit when you do vibrato - you need to work on that, you really do! That's where you often fail and sound less professional than you should. Just do long notes with a slow vibrato and then slowly increase the speed.

Thirdly, which I think is related to the second point, I think sometimes your lack of confidence shows in your singing, just as it shows in your first post. So fix that, belive in yourself and you'll get to that next level. That level isn't necessarily high notes, because you can woo millions of people singing in your middle range - like Elvis and many singers did.

Contrary to what you said, it seems that all your practise time DID give something to your voice, because as I said, most things about your voice is already good! F.ex. there is an occasional grit in your voice that sounds very good and it seems that you are slightly better at singing with a bit of volume in your middle and high range than singing softly in your low range.

I think you WILL be able to sing that Iron Maiden song. I like some Iron Maiden songs myself and even though it's probably too high for you at the moment, I'm absolutely sure you will be able to really nail it one day. Actually, once again, the HIGH notes were probably the best ones! Maybe not 100% perfect, but still, quite awesome. If you want to sound more like Bruce Dickinson there, which isn't necessarily a good idea because in the end you don't want to copy anyone, you could try to darken the sound a bit on those high notes - but I don't think you should focus on that right now. IMO, focus on those 3 things I mentioned.

And you need to start liking your voice - something that every singer needs to get over. Most of us hate our voices to begin with. I did :) Now I've accepted that this is the way it sounds, even though it can be improved. Everyone has a unique sound - this is a GOOD thing! But fix those issues man and you'll say MAJOR improvements and you'll be such a good singer you'll scare people.

Again, just my opinion. Other people might say different things.

Take care,
jonpall.

I hope you didn't think that I was saying he could never sing Iron Maiden. He just isn't capable YET of pulling it off in that key. You can sing anything you want to if you want it bad enough.

Gotcha! No, I didn't really think that.

The dude really has a good voice. He just needs to learn to control it. With his self-effacement I was expecting it to be horrible. I was pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for all of the comments guys, sorry I've not been about much until now.

One of the things that interested me was the comment about enunciation... can you elaborate? How can I work on this?

Also, what exercises should I be doing for breath support? I've done loads of floor breathing and upright exercises, any more?

As for vibrato... I'm not sure I'll ever have it so I may just not try. At least, maybe not focus on it yet. I always try adding it to songs but it generally sounds wrong.

Anything else anyone can say?

As far as enunciation, I would just say to pronounce the words almost as naturally as you would when you speak. The over-enunciation makes you sound like a Broadway singer. It makes it sound like you are "trying" to sing instead of it being a natural sound.

I suggest learning to take the micro-breath before you sing a phrase.

Vibrato seems easy to do when I'm breathing right and not over-thinking it. Trying too hard to do vibrato will make it sound unnatural and bad in my opinion.

"As far as enunciation, I would just say to pronounce the words almost as naturally as you would when you speak"

i agree. i don't think it matters if you can't understand what the singer says, it just has to sound good. have you heard michael jackson? fantastic singer, but he never clearly vocalises his lyrics. just listen to the chorus of thriller he sounds like he's saying "dilla! dilla naiiiyee" it doesn't matter if you can't understand it, it just has to sound good. put more emphasis on tone and pitch rather than pronounciation of words.

Dunno, I would have to disagree with that. While you don't want to over-enunciate, being able to sing clearly no matter what register you're in and how gritty or clean you're singing is a skill that sets the great singers apart from the good singers. Try Dickinson, Halford, Dio, Gillan, any of the great ones, you can almost always understand each and every word coming out of their lips.

Other than that, Nathan, be very careful about your intonation. The number of the beast sounds flat. There are many possible reasons for that, it could be that you were not paying attention to the intonation at the time, or you were not supporting it enough, or simply straining. Intonation is one of the most important qualities in singing.

Your voice is nice, make the most of it.

James Taylor doesn't over enunciate his words and you can understand every one of them. I wasn't advocating not being able to understand what a singer is saying. If you want to sound like an over dramatic Broadway singer or metal guy, that's fine, but you should be able to do it when you want and not do it when you want.

Just in short,

I think your tone will be quite suited to singing the higher stuff with a lighter timbre. Superstition was easily the best and you were sounding pretty free. I think you sound very Tenory and after more practise in a band situation I think you will come into your own.

I didn't feel it was over enunciated (I think being able to understand all the words is very important), I do however feel as though it sounded a bit held back.

"As for vibrato... I'm not sure I'll ever have it so I may just not try." of course you'll never have it if you never try. I heard your stevie wonder take, and you are nowhere near as bad as you say you are. You seriously need to stop with this negative crap. you are literally lying to yourself. you have alot of the right ingredients down, pitch is what i consider most important, and you while not 100% on the mark all the time, for the most part you had that down nicely. the rest is just polishing to make your voice have the right flavour you want.

I understand the poor background. I grew up that way too. When I wanted lessons with Jim Gillette, I worked my butt off cutting grass to make it happen. Seriously sounds like you need a great vocal coach. Contact vocal coaches in your area and find one you like. Then do what you have to in order to take lessons with them. It may be simple things that just simply need corrected;)