THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Opening the back of the throat

I tried those but they didn't work for me.
Maybe they'll work for you but try this baby..
Do the "NG" sound (the one where the back of the tongue touches the soft palate, most of the mouth is blocked and most of the resonance is from the nose)

open it with an "ah"

all of this should sound like this: "annnn..." (not exactly like an "n" but just block the mouth as described above in this massage)

At this stage you will fell resonance in the front and back of the face (one in the back of the mouth and one in the mask) try focusing on the one in the high throat,back of the mouth) and expanding it physically, this should be veryyyyyyy easy if you did every thing correct.

Tell me how it went because:
1. this is awesome!!!
and helps you get into head-voice with no thought
or strain at all!
2.I described it a little weird and maybe I can help
you some more.
3.It may have worked

I'm no vocal teacher but good luck

I have to put a lot of effort into bullfrogs, it's difficult to "relax" and maintain that sensation while singing. I recorded myself singing like that and I can do it without the "dumb" sound of a low larynx. Is this good?

Probably

NEVER FAILS... Let me tell you how to do this sure fire. It's worked for me... Get some flexible tubing cut do the diameter of about 2 1/2 or 3 of your fingers. Cut it to a length that can easily be carried around. Put it on a necklace and wear it around the house. Put it between your teeth and take big yawn breaths with it. If yawning didn't work this will. Trust me... Just go to lowe's and have a guy cut you a few pieces out of a piece of flexible pipe. Don't get it too big or it will stress your mandibles and tongue, but be sure it's big enough to really get it open.

The GN is good to bring the resonance forward and relax the tongue but may be not so great for opening... Always start from something natural. A word like Hi! for example. If you said Hi! very enthusiastically, you will great the proper opening on the "A" part of Hi!. Say Hi! a ew times then again but stop mid way without completing the diphthong which closes the mouth a little on "E". Hopefully you understand what I mean. It's kinda hard to explain!! "H" is good for the onset of the voice and helps opening the back of the throat! Because this word is positive and enthusiastic, it naturally brings the voice in the mask. Hope that helps this time...