THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why no scales?

There are scales in the members area for the videos, as well as scales in the ultimate vocal workout. The Isolation Method is a completely different approach to range extension. I am fine with people using scales and as I said there are some in the system as well as on venderapublishing.com as well as the Driven to prctice series at rocksource360.com.

Honestly, I got so burnt out on scales that I decided to create a unique way to develop the vocal muscles based on isometrics....and....it worked:)

Hey Jaime, just a quick question now that you mentioned Driven to Practice. Do you recommend we add that to the Isolation workout as well? Or is it a separate thing?

Drive to Practice was something Ben Carroll (RA) and I came up with for anyone with any vocal coach to use. They come in both low and high as well as major and minor. The way I've been doing them are really good to add to the Isolation exercises and I generally teach those scales to my students. However, I will be adding an article to the Library on RockSource360 for those who want to use them. But in case you add them, here is what I am using for the Major Scales:

1. Lip Bubbles
2. Lip Bubbles
3. Mmm walkdown
4. Oo-Oo-Oo slide-Falsetto
5. Mum-mum-mum-mum-mum…Full Voice
6. Wah-wah-wah-wah…Full Voice
7. Yah-Yay-alterate-Full Voice
8. Yah-Yay-alternate-Falsetto
9. Yah-Eee-Ah-Full Voice
10. “Mah-Nah-Wah-Yah-Ah”-Full Voice
11. On the AH sound= “Mah-Nah-Wah-Yah-Ah” -Full Voice
12. “Ma-Ma-La”-Full Voice
13. Mmm
14. Lip Bubbles

Its good for both warmup/workout before Iso exercises;)

Thanks that was really helpful!
I remember you sent them to me, but I wasn't sure what to vocalize over them. I was just doing lip bubbles and humming, and falsetto Es.

Yeah this version is much better. And we'll have much more difficult versions as we move forward;)

I have to admit that my pitch never really took off until i started practicing scales. even when i was using tuners to get my pitch right it wasn't carrying over into singing nearly as well as when i coupled it with scale work. because when you sing, you are essentially singing in a scale and changing key according to the chord progression of the song, so i basically run through major and minor scale in all keys very quickly everyday to keep me "switched on". it has helped tremendously with pitch, a guy who has in the past never been able to match pitch. play the scale on a guitar or piano and really listen to how it feels when you match it properly with your voice. i am now able to sing in pitch acapella by myself without accompaniment something i could never do in the past.

In my opinion scales are not really needed in RYV. The book gives you the knowledge of how to sing properly and how to smooth out rough spots, something like 400+ pages worth. Scales you can learn else where and apply what you have learned from RYV.

Lucky for us Big JV didn't stop with the book and gave us video and audio files.

Yep RYV was designed not to need scales. However, you can take techniques from the book and use them on any scales. I know lots of people who have successfully used my approach while doing Manning's and Gillette's scales. Choice is up to you. I personally do Voice RX and the VAM warm ups #5-12 every morning while running on a treadmill;)

Jaime Vendera

11. On the AH sound= “Mah-Nah-Wah-Yah-Ah” -Full Voice
12. “Ma-Ma-La”-Full Voice

These two are friggin hard, haha.

I think #13 & 14 are harder to learn at first even on easy Lip Bubbles or Ahs;)