THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tongue stretches--Pain?? plus tickle in throat

Your pulling the tongue out too hard and that's why that little underflap of skin is sore. It could be hitting the teeth and cutting into it. It's to stretch the top party of the tongue at the back.

The Transcending Tone is the hardest exercise to master above anything I've ever done, so don't feel depressed. The two different falsettos you are explaining are probably a real falsetto and just a very light tone, which explains why you can easily do it on one "falsetto" as opposed to the other.

There are so many factors as to what cn be hindering your progress that I am not sure unless I work with you. However, someone on this board please feel free to offer him guidance as I won't be available for lessons until around the 10th of May as I have another show to do in Japan and will be gone for a bit:) So give him a hand guys!!!

I figured out something tonight!
i tried doing falsetto slides in the less heady falsetto that i was talking about, because it sounds a lot more like jaime's audio example. well, it sounded much more like it did in the example, AND i cracked a lot! which means it's something new to work on!
and THAT means that if it is the 'correct' falsetto, then once i master it with this "new" falsetto, i can move on to TT with the proper "foundation"
if u want i can put up a recording or something
and thanks jaime!

Good job, keep working and you'll get it:)

I figured out the perfect way to describe it!
you know how melissa cross has people scream "over the pencil"?
well, the light head voice tone feels "under the pencil", whereas the same pitch in the "true falsetto" feels "over the pencil"
it feels exactly like the placement exercises on the zen of screaming
the under the pencil one seems to have more closure and "substance" but is still very light
anyways, today at school i was on my phone searching though these forums and i saw that other people have asked this same question, so i'll go read those now

alright so i went to bugmenot.com, used the username and password i found on there to get into "fileden.com" and uploaded a .wav file of me demonstrating the two voices.
after listening to the recording, i learned that the "over-the-pencil" one is much breathier than i thought, which is good to know, cuz it probably means i should use the other one, but please listen anyway

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11/7/2641123/falsetto%20head%20voice.wav

The "over the pencil" is the same as "focusing in the palate"

so now i'm totally lost lol
did you listen to the audio file?
the one that i could feel "over the pencil" was breathy and mouse-y
the one that felt lower was not...
so which one should i use?

!!!!
i just figured out something that REALLY helps
i tried putting my finger under my chin to check for digrastic muscle tension...then i slid through my break and down and kept doing it. it was really hard to get them to not tense up, especially since the bullfrog exercise kinda made that area get bigger when i go higher, but i got it to relax and it helped A LOT!
so i did it again, only this time, when i got to like an e-flat above middle c, i "transcended" it to full voice, and it was almost seamless. basically, it makes everything a lot easier..
im gonna really work on keeping that area tension-free