THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: No one gets Pitch problems ?

ahah that's great to know, least I'm onto it :-). the more i' practicing the pitch the more i can hear if i'm "out" or "in" when at first it was almost impossible to tell.

also, i practice the major and minor scales on every key and that has helped tremendously

Well, I have been a tone deaf person for most part of my life. At some point I learnt to tune my guitar by hearing. And now, after doing RYV exercises 3 months, I feel that my intonation has improved. I can find those notes faster now.

It took me about 2/3 years before was able to hear a song and emulate. I still have those days though where a for some reason I can't hit one note properly in a scale.

I also have those days where my vocal teacher looks at me with a 'eww' look on her face and says "well you got the note... it sounded like crap but you got it". lol

I've found that I can't miss a day. if i miss a day i lose alot of the pitch gains that I attained. even if i only do 5 minutes of scales i can assure that i'll improve, but if i miss it i lose alot of progress. so I've been rather adamant about doing at least something everyday.

Try learning to play keyboard. The positive reinforcement of hearing and creating in-tuneness will give you plenty of confidence. Your pitch can only be as good as your ear can discriminate. It's a primarily mental thing. Ear training programs on the internet can help too... Once you have a good mental grasp of pitch, it will be easier for your voice to develop coordination to match your mental image... In other words, your ear will want to make you sing in tune. I didn't get real good at pitch until got real good at TT.

definately agree with you on that. i use my keyboard extensively, and i totally agree with your ear building up the skill of hearing when your in tune. if i look back a couple months ago my improvements are great. i'm just sort of surprised no one seems to talk much about it, as I've had to go through extensive training on pitch, it made me start thinking i was the only one that needed that much training!

Could you guys and girls list computer software (Win/Mac) that has reliable pitch detection for singing exercises?

I bought myself a Korg chromatic tuner. I use that and a digital keyboard/piano. The tuner has a needle that has helped tremendously with pitch. ALthough I think the best thing for pitch is practicing actual scales rather than JUST chromatics since songs are in scales this has helped me translate my chromatic practice into actual music song practice. really listen to the notes and try to resonate your voice with it BEFORE checking the tuner to see if your pitch is on that way you develop the skill of knowing if your in or out without help

This thread is making me worry if my pitch is off now. :/
If I post a clip of myself singing, will you guys tell me if my pitch is off?

Rhombus
This thread is making me worry if my pitch is off now. :/
If I post a clip of myself singing, will you guys tell me if my pitch is off?

Probably. Can't speak for myself (with my bad intonation!) but someone else will :)