THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Belting or Head Voice
Hey guys, I was just wondering if there was a way to tell if you were belting in chest or starting to sing in head voice. I ask because to get to the higher area of my range (G4-A4), I have to sing loud to hit it, but I'm not sure if that is just because I don't know...
Views: 460   Replies: 19
Last Post: Nov 20, 2008 10:21pm
by ConcreteLake
Tough to sing
So guys. I've gotten to the point where I can hit an A4 in the exercises (on good days), but it is still relatively hard to sing songs that range above F4 (and F4 is not really easy for me either). I've been practicing pretty consistently, but I am still straining wh...
Views: 288   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 20, 2008 10:10pm
by ConcreteLake
Breathing Device
Hi All, Been a while since I have posted. I was just wondering if anyone has purchased that Pneumatic Training Device that was posted on here a while back. Is it worth purchasing? Any first hand accounts? Jaime, Do you reccomend it? Thanks, Dougie
Views: 324   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 20, 2008 8:50pm
by Skullsplitter
Low Larynx and Falsetto
Hi, Here's my problem: When I keep the larynx down on higher notes (between F4 and C5) the tone has a falsetto or Yogi Bear kind of quality, which I think is not desirable for Rock. If I sing with my normal voice in the higher register my larynx rises pretty high....
Views: 256   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 20, 2008 4:45pm
by DARKRonnoc
matt bellamy's voice
Hey , do you know what kind of voice matt bellamy from muse uses in songs like supermassive black hole and microcuts . Ive tried using typical breathy falsetto but it comes out really soft and weak.
Views: 657   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 20, 2008 2:54pm
by LegatoMan
Power push, sensation, diapghragmitc breathing
Alright, let me begin by stating that I've been singing for almost 8 years now (I'm still not very good!) an using RYV for 3 or so years now and that I've made improvements in my range, the color of my voice and most importantly, the expressiveness of my performance,...
Views: 257   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 11:25pm
by James Fater
m
mikey
comments and suggestions
Hi all! I hope you're not groaning at another beginner posting a 'Listen to me and tell me what I'm doing wrong' type thing. But Hey... This is one of those. But really, if you've got the time I'd certainly appreciate a bit of feedback. http://www.sou...
Views: 273   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 10:25pm
by mikey
Just came in to say hi
Have not been here a while so i guess im back been very busy. Also jaime your site does not accept bands. can you send me a request then?
Views: 237   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 19, 2008 4:01am
by Jay Sin
Clip of the old voice...
This is a clip of my voice two years ago... My voice could do this type of aggressive singing back then. For some reason I can do the whistle voice, super high head voice stuff, and clean lyrical singing better now though. Tell what you guys think. It's just a cli...
Views: 289   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 18, 2008 3:05pm
by Tuba player
g
Go
Old and new school
Maybe this is not new for the most of you but I´ve realized that when it comes to singing you have two basic conflicting points of view: 1.You have a natural vocal range and you can´t go any further, so you better change the song´s key and stay on a...
Views: 277   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 18, 2008 1:40pm
by mossman
t
Takiko
I have a question.
I have a question. When diaphramatic breathing, around the belly and the above-the-belly area RISES, and the under-the-belly (not where right bellow it but the area around under the SECOND CHAKRA; sorry to use this term, I havent come up with any other vocabularie...
Views: 211   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 17, 2008 6:27pm
by oiselle
c
Cason
Really confused about Transcending Tone... also...
I've read the part on Transcending Tone a bunch of times, listened to the audio files, and watched the videos. When I try to do the Transcending Tone, my voice breaks badly leaving falsetto and almost sounds like it goes up an octave to full voice (even though it's...
Views: 336   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 17, 2008 2:19pm
by tuba player
a
adarth
Whistle or not :)
Hi all, It's my first post and English is not my native language so be understanding ;) Jaime, thx for the book it helps me a lot. Here is a clip (from rehearsal) with me singing a cover of one Polish famous group. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-SboA8tEdU...
Views: 219   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 16, 2008 10:14pm
by tuba player
Farley Pocket Tones in Europe
Hi, Does anyone know where to find these items on the net in europe? I checked amazon and other trusted sites but cannot find them... Thanks, Frank
Views: 175   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 16, 2008 4:37pm
by Skullsplitter
f
Fat-L
Question to the Bullfrog
is it normal to have muscleache after it? i mean sure it´s normal to have muscleache after you trained them when you never did, but i not really sure if i might be doing it wrong. and are there any other tips to keeping the larynx down? thanks
Views: 236   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 16, 2008 4:34pm
by Skullsplitter
RYV and Singing Success
It is unbelievable how much this is a Yin and Yang type relationship. I'll try and explain the best I can as I am currently on the night shift at work lol. With RYV I have learned so much about the mechanics of the voice I have worked myself to just over 3 octaves, l...
Views: 284   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 16, 2008 2:48pm
by oiselle
Serious Breathing Issue
Hey everyone I need some serious help on this breathing deal. I purchased the Ultimate Breathing Workout and I've been doing the slow hissing exercise. Everytime I try it, I can't help it and I just give out and can't "hold on" to the air any longer.No matter how har...
Views: 280   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 14, 2008 1:13pm
by mossman
Into Eternity
Anyone ever heard this band? The singer has these brutal low and high screams then goes to sing a part and hits notes WELL over E5 perfectly live! I just started listening to them and they're crazy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHR0gRdnJY&feature=related Mak...
Views: 367   Replies: 15
Last Post: Nov 14, 2008 4:58am
by LegatoMan
Jaw Tension Release
When doing the jaw tension release part of the VSR, are you supposed to pull the bottom jaw outward, or just massage the muscles behind the bottom jaw? Also, how far are you supposed to pull it out if you are, and should you have the mouth open or closed?
Views: 204   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 13, 2008 5:38pm
by oiselle
Coughing
I now have a pretty bad cough. The cough is the type where every time you cough or sneeze, your whole throat and chest hurts. My voice just sounds fuzzy and feels swollen from all the coughing. Cough syrup or cough drops aren't making this go away. Is there any...
Views: 254   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 12, 2008 6:53pm
by Andrew Southwort...
j
jread
Anyone know of a "virtual piano" somewhere online?
I found one but it isn't very helpful. What I'm looking for is a virtual keyboard/piano online somewhere where I can click and play a note (and it lets me know what the not is). For instance, I can see G4, click it and hear it. Is there anything like this out th...
Views: 216   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 11, 2008 8:40pm
by Vocal1
Vocal Volume
So, guys. Is it possible to sing the really high notes (in full voice) without getting any louder? If so, what should I do to achieve this. I know someone mentioned reverse TT earlier. Just wondering if there were any other tips. Thanks!
Views: 252   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 11, 2008 5:56am
by oiselle
Youtube comments...
dear god... I don't know if anyone ever looks around through comments on youtube posted by "vocal coaches" but its horrifying at times. Some of the stuff I read is just ricockulous. For example, earlier I read one person trying to talk about the "belting register"...
Views: 319   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 10, 2008 7:07pm
by Jay Sin
Jaime, do you have any .mp3's of the scales you use in your RYV videos?
I've been watching your videos, and I'd love to have some kind of digitized audio format of the scales you use for your students. I'd throw those on my MP3 player and practice all day while driving, I would LOVE that. Are these available anywhere online, or are...
Views: 169   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 8:43pm
by LeddRokkenstud
f
Fat-L
Comments on some recordings i did
Hi everyone, i would be really happy if some of you would check out the stuff i recorded and comment on it. I´m really interested in what i can do better since i feel that i could improve a great bit. I know all the theoretical stuff on singing reading raise you...
Views: 205   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 10:47am
by Fat-L
HAHAHA! YES! I'M SO !*(#+*$ HAPPY! FINALLY!
I finally hit the high note in Don't Stop Believing by Journey! I'm so giddy right now, hehe. It was a very squeaky (tonally), and it didn't sound good, but it was there! I'm so freakin' happy right now! Yes!
Views: 389   Replies: 8
Last Post: Nov 9, 2008 7:26am
by DARKRonnoc
j
jread
What is he doing here?
I've always really liked the singer for the band Wheatus. He's got a very unique-sounding voice. Anyway, I was listening to some live recordings of "Teenage Dirtbag" and noticed that he always pauses before the part where he's doing a "girl's" voice and kind of "se...
Views: 197   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 8, 2008 12:29pm
by Lee Muria
v
Vinnie
Creep
I can finally hit the high note (A4) in the Radiohead song Creep! In full voice! My voice feels like its just starting to open up, so that I can do my high notes with ease. Everything is happening exactly like everyone described. A few days ago, I could hit an A4, bu...
Views: 559   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 8, 2008 3:20am
by jread
Belting
I know that belting (such as done by Dickinson etc) is a means of getting a chestier timbre for pitches higher than normal chest voice but what exactly happens differently anatomically when you belt as opposed to singing in normal head voice? To clarify to everyon...
Views: 243   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 7, 2008 11:17am
by ConcreteLake
g
Giorgi
Can I learn how to add rasp to my voice first without working on range/breathing?
Hola guys! What I want to know if I can basically skip everything in the book for now and work on my rasp first? And maybe since breathing is still the key part in rasping, I can only work on chapter 1 breathing and than go straight to rasp? Wanna hear som...
Views: 618   Replies: 19
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 1:56pm
by Giorgi
Bridges or passagios
Hey, I've been wondering... does everybody bridge in the same area or are some higher or lower(obviously man and women are different, but...) For example my bridge starts around f or f# and although I can sing well past tenor c, my voice is fairly dark and I would...
Views: 265   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 12:02pm
by Andrew Southwort...
v
Vocal1
Confused about the "inhalation sensation"...
Hello, I read the book but I'm still confused about the inhalation sensation. What is it? How exactly is it done along with singing? What I've been doing is inhaling by expanding my stomach, then keeping it expanded/pushed out while singing all the way until I run...
Views: 379   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 6, 2008 4:07am
by Vocal1
Sore Throat
I'm sure it depends exactly what you have and where it is, but as far as it feels like, it feels like the sore throat I have is at the top area of the throat. I just hate not being able to sing because i'm sick. Would it be a good idea to just do breathing stuff a...
Views: 293   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 4, 2008 9:40pm
by Andrew Southwort...
Laying on the ground... WOW!
Recently I have truly unlocked the natural, free flowing voice I've always needed. After years of Jaime's exercises, I've recently done something I'd always heard about but never did... sing on my back. I had instant luck. Just incredible really. So I decided to...
Views: 321   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 4, 2008 8:39pm
by oiselle
Yawning Sensation
When I inhale "on a yawn" or maintain the "yawning sensation" my larynx drops and my singing voice doesn't sound like me anymore. The tone is all the way back in the throat and I sound more like an opera singer than a rock singer. Does that change with practice or am...
Views: 182   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 4, 2008 8:37pm
by oiselle
a
Anton
OKay, what THE HELL did I just do in this recording? (growl-ish related)
Just recorded this to try something i haven't felt before.. http://media.putfile.com/Growl-Neuwb The backing track is Dream Theater. I inhaled at that recording, it didn't hurt a bit, but I wouldn't be able to actually sing like that. What the hell did I ju...
Views: 271   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 3, 2008 12:41pm
by Andrew Southwort...
This amazes me, really...
Here it is 30 years after Les McKeown quit the Bay City Rollers, and you know what - he still sounds just like he did back then. He was had a fairly high voice, but even as a man in his 50's - he STILL sounds like he did back then. So, here is proof that if you use...
Views: 301   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 2, 2008 5:59pm
by John King
The Wheeze
Hi guys, I've been making a noise when I sing which I suppose comes under label of grit. I'm asthmatic and can only describe this sound as a wheeze. Its like the sound P!nk makes when she rocks out. It sounds cool but what is happening and is it good for ones voice?...
Views: 309   Replies: 11
Last Post: Nov 2, 2008 4:15pm
by Lewis Greenslade
Voice Yourself: November Newsletter
Hello all! This is what you will find in this month's issue: 1) Candy Alert! 2) Acidic or Alkaline? 3) Choral Symposia 4) The Importance of Story Telling Copy and paste the link below for easy access to my newsletter: http://voiceyourselfintheclassroom...
Views: 184   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 9:09pm
by oiselle
v
Vinnie
Thank You Jaime!
I know if you read all my posts, I probably don't look too hopeful in terms of singing. But I finally can say that I figured it out. I can sustain a G4 easily now, and I can hit up to a B4, but its not as pretty. The A4 is coming along good too. This is after only...
Views: 256   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 10:22am
by Vinnie
Singing from diaphragm
Does anyone have any simple exercises/demonstrations/positions that show the benefit of singing from the diaphragm vs. chest/throat? I've read Jaime's book and others and understand how to breath in the diaphragm, but I always feel I can singing without the diaphr...
Views: 413   Replies: 14
Last Post: Nov 1, 2008 7:19am
by oiselle
Am I blind or....
Where did the message about that breathing device disapear?? I really wanted to buy it!
Views: 451   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 31, 2008 4:57pm
by Skullsplitter
g
Giorgi
2 random questions about screaming
Heya! So first of all: does vocal fry involve false cords? Second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyu5ckar5mQ Is this fry screaming or "death metal screaming"?
Views: 347   Replies: 12
Last Post: Oct 31, 2008 9:45am
by Sofus987
a
Anton
Improvised a song in swedish, please feel free to listen and comment!
I came back to my dads' house two days ago and the first thing I did was to sit down and play the piano. Since it's been a while, I decided to try and improvise something while recording. When I was done, i started to hum along to the track, and it turned into a son...
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 30, 2008 10:40am
by Anton
t
Takiko
Does anyone know the title of the song...
from the movie trailer (so may not be in the soundtrack); the movie is called "Holiday"(Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Kate Winslet and Jack Black). It was a really nice, very popular song. Who is the original artist? If I get the infomation I want to sing it.
Views: 225   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 11:06am
by Skullsplitter
c
Corona
My vocal journey and further advancement
Hi everybody! I have had RYV for a quite long time now but this is my first post so I´ll introduce myself and share my (rather short) vocal experience. I began singing for about two years ago, only because the temporary band we had created for a school show l...
Views: 322   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 10:41am
by jaime vendera
Tony Harnell makes me sick.
LOL The title says it all. I was listening to "Tell No Tales" and "10,000 Lovers" today, and it just amazes me how far ahead of the pack that he really was. I was surprised that I could actually hit alot of the notes in "10,000 Lovers", but I could still fee...
Views: 328   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 7:16am
by Rock Out
About Thomas Appell
Somebode wrote here that he's going to Thomas Appell and other teachers for lessons. Well, I talked today to Thomas about coming for some lessons, and like it says in the book, he has the 12 basic lessons. But, he has another 90 lessons to go through it all.
Views: 235   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 4:06am
by Jay Sin
Hello
Well I hada question for you guys. I posted a while back here. Being the great procrastinator that i am, i haven't managed too get too far with the exercises up to this point. Recently Ive found more motivation to get back into this again. In reading through RYV2...
Views: 176   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 2:27am
by mossman
BRAND NEW WEBSITES!!!
Finally things are under way. For those who don't know, we have been VERY busy! We have just released several new websites, and I've even released a new book. So here is a breakdown of what is going on- #1-My latest book is called "The 11 Secret Steps to Writing,...
Views: 697   Replies: 27
Last Post: Oct 28, 2008 2:19am
by mossman
sick /messed up voice/show coming up!
Hey guys. I haven't posted on here in a while but thought maybe someone could help me with a problem I'm having... Last week I was sick with Laryngitis (I think). I had a soar throat and lost my voice for a day or two. That was on Tuesday. I feel a lot better now, al...
Views: 258   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 27, 2008 9:29pm
by oiselle
Mutt Lange
I always been impressed by Mutt Lange as producer of great albums like "hysteria" or "back in black" One of the thing i really love is his personal way to realize amazing backing vocals like in "armageddon it" or "rocket" and "love bites" Do you know the secret beh...
Views: 491   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 26, 2008 10:31pm
by Matthew Knight
j
Jason
Flat Tongue BAD??
Ok so I was reading something online about bad vocal habits, and I came across a little page that talked about certain things that are horrible for the voice. It basically stated that having a flat tongue is BAD. That the tongue when laying flat on the bottom of...
Views: 412   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 25, 2008 7:20pm
by Skullsplitter
A few questions regarding vocal techniques/exercises.
1. Should I able to sing anything I can sing at full volume, full voice at a more breathy, lower volume? Which one is normally easier? For example, I can nail the notes no problem full voice in The Mayfield Four's song "Summergirl", but I struggle to sing the beginni...
Views: 202   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 25, 2008 2:46pm
by jaime vendera
CD Exercises
Hey guys, just wondering if there is any way to get a CD for the Isolation Method (I spend SO much time in my car, and it would really facilitate the process of practice to have a CD to exercise with while driving). Or by any chance, anyone has recorded themselves pe...
Views: 205   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 7:42am
by DARKRonnoc
j
Jax
Post-Sickness issue.
hey guys. about a week ago i was pretty ill from what i think was laryngitis (unable to speak day 1-2), though i'm not sure, could've been another virus. however i managed to overcome it (no singing on those days, barely talking) but i've been having some issues in s...
Views: 187   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 7:41am
by Jax
Why can't I sing more than, like, 3 songs?
My general singing practice is taken out on the video game Rock Band. If anyone's unfamiliar, the vocals are just like charted karaoke. Anyway, I generally sing any random combination of three of these songs: Highway Star by Deep Purple, Train Kept a Rollin' by...
Views: 434   Replies: 19
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 7:15am
by BurningSpiritHM
:(
my comp crashed over the weekend and i lost all my ebooks including the singing ones :(
Views: 257   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 24, 2008 2:13am
by mossman
Opera singing teachers
Does anyone know of a good opera voice teacher??
Views: 197   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 6:53pm
by jaime vendera
t
Takiko
A mystery
A mystery. I was doing the last part of the Vocal Release Program (it's my first week) - the siren. I couldn't make my teeth buzz with "ah", so I tried other vowels. With "woo", I could finally make them buzz and ascended straight from C4 to C7. I got kind of bew...
Views: 195   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 1:51pm
by John King
s
Saliva
NEW Saliva album is comming!
NEW Saliva album is comming! (Late 2008 release) check out our myspace! http://www.myspace.com/saliva you can listen our new song 'Family Reunion'
Views: 201   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 12:54pm
by Jax
Falsetto Slide "Rumbles"
Hey guys, just wonderin' something. While I am performing my falsetto slides I have noticed that around A4-B4 I have a almost "wookie like" noise produced, and my vocal chords rumble slightly. It doesn't hurt, so I think it might just be my second break and I just ne...
Views: 182   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 6:12am
by oiselle
a question
Is there a way to download Vocal Exercises of this site and write them on a CD? Or is it impossible? I'm terrible at playing keyboard (or any instrument) and I'd really appreciate if I had them on CD; it would make my practice easier.
Views: 221   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 23, 2008 3:41am
by Takiko
v
Vinnie
Something Happened
So I haven't been practicing much in the past two weeks because of work and stress. So I thought I would be getting worse. Wrong. I downloaded the audio files yesterday, like the TT and Siren, May May May, and Yah Yahs just to try them out to see if it makes any d...
Views: 240   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 22, 2008 8:43pm
by altered
t
Takiko
benefits in every way
I have the first edition of RYV. So following the instructions in the book (just several days yet), I'm having benefits from them! Now I really love to sing. Before, although I knew what I want to do in my life clealy but everytime I sang or just vocalized, I rea...
Views: 211   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 22, 2008 11:16am
by Jaime Vendera
Powerful new addition to my training program...
Hey guys, I may have mentioned before the benefit I've derived from Roger Love's exercise tracks from Set Your Voice Free and Love Your Voice. I recently had an epiphany that has doubled the benefit. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but I've begun...
Views: 361   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 7:06pm
by Jaime Vendera
Some advice when it comes to Vocal coaches
I found a teacher in New York, he isn't familler with RYV, although I want to use the exercises, should I tell him about them, or should I let him think that he deserves all the credit?!
Views: 236   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 21, 2008 5:20pm
by Jason
Teachers in New York City
Hi everybody I'm moving in a few weeks to New York. Does anyone know there a reccomened teacher??
Views: 247   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 20, 2008 9:36am
by Skullsplitter
Singing High notes
I can get pretty high doing the second exercise, going from falsetto to full voice, but when it comes to singing it's a lot harder. Is there something maybe I'm doing wrong?
Views: 273   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 19, 2008 8:49am
by oiselle
listen to me please
please tell me what I need to work on. I have been focusing more on the downward support, practicing the falsetto slides and other exercises in the book, but the high notes still aren't effortless. It doesn't hurt, but I just want to make sure I am not killing myself...
Views: 296   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 11:45pm
by stratmastertj
How differently would I hear myself with VAM?
I've been recording myself lately and am surprised I'm a lot throatier than I thought. I tried to add more twang and when I thought I got more nasal resonance, it's still not as nasal as I expected. I tried cupping my mouth and ears and thought I sounded different, a...
Views: 276   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 18, 2008 11:17am
by donnygg
Still getting pain, help!
Hey, guys. I'm still getting a pain in my throat when I perform certain exercises. The pain occurs right at F4, and intensifies with each note upward of that. It feels like a slight burn sensation that gradually grows more painful as I hold notes. Can anyone please h...
Views: 196   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 17, 2008 11:43pm
by oiselle
g
Go
Do you think this is reinforced falsetto?
Maybe this band is not familiar to you but it´s really famous is latin america. Anyway, I´m having a hard time telling if the voice of the singer is a reinforced falsetto or what?, what do you guys think?. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qca4cWRhDkU
Views: 235   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 17, 2008 8:01pm
by Tim McCarthy
Inhale Screams
Is it possible to do Melissa Cross-like inhale screams without hurting your voice?
Views: 418   Replies: 10
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 4:27pm
by Jaime Vendera
Anyone read Manual of Bel Canto?
Anyone read Manual of Bel Canto by Ida Franca? Some far fetched interesting ideas... Some very racist, some introspective, some awful... If anyone can get a copy of this and read it do it. It's not too long. I'd also like to hear some opinions of bel canto.
Views: 332   Replies: 11
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 1:03pm
by Jens
Ranges
Hey, guys, just wondering what everyone's respective ranges are (not trying to start anything, just wondering out of curiosity). Any additional info is also appreciated, like where your range was when you started RYV and how long it has been, etc. I know it doesn't m...
Views: 528   Replies: 27
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 12:04pm
by Tim McCarthy
Jorn Lande
Hi everyone. I was searching on youtube for some whitesnake songs and I came across this amazing singer: JORN LANDE. WOW! I was very impressed by his tone and grit. Here's the video of "out to every nation": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h69Ixpdy4zg&feature=rela...
Views: 331   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 9:56am
by Paul Adrian V.
how can i increase my vocal range????
Hello everyone. i'm having trouble to hit high notes :( i can hit high notes with whispering voice... but when i sing louder than it, i got lost my voice in high notes. my voice suddenly turn into .. like grandmother's voice. how can i overcome this? i want to b...
Views: 225   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 6:16am
by oiselle
m
Misso
reinforced falseto
I want to ask about practicing reinforced falseto, I am little bit confused after reading it...when I go higher with this excercise and also with the witch cackle excercise should I zip my cords to go higher or I have to keep it open like using pure falseto....I am l...
Views: 230   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 16, 2008 3:15am
by mossman
Vox stuff....
Does any1 else find they need to burp when warming up the voice haha. Not like a massive BBBUUUURP but like a little bubble burp?! I know this is silly but I was just curious? Also I'm doin my warm up now and found that while I was doing the lip bubbles the sound fe...
Views: 238   Replies: 4
Last Post: Oct 15, 2008 5:05am
by Rock Out
Chaos in motion
Has anyone got that new DVD from Dream Theater? I saw some videos on youtube from it, but I don't have it myself. From what i've seen though, Labrie is losing notes again, and his tone is all out of wack like it was around 2000-2002. I thought he was getting voic...
Views: 500   Replies: 36
Last Post: Oct 15, 2008 2:38am
by ConcreteLake
Pavs, Sutherland & Horne serve it up
Hey all, I was juz checking some stuff out on youtube when I came across some bel canto videos. I thought they were cool because you get to hear heavy weight singers talk about their singing, and how they go about it. Also some of the comments left on the vidz are...
Views: 247   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 14, 2008 2:32am
by Rock Out
Raising the chest (please opinions!)
There are a few teachers that say to lift the chest while singing. Teacher such as Seth Riggs, Lisa Lopiel and others. I think I read here that its good for getting high notes in full voice (such as opera singers..) Can this go together with RYV?? Thanks
Views: 288   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 12, 2008 7:26pm
by jaime vendera
What is this tone?
Hey guys, just a quick question. I've been doing lots of falsetto slides and sirens and generally trying to sing stuff that are over my break, or at least my previous comfort zone. Basically, more and more I've been able to use a certain tone I can access comp...
Views: 264   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 12, 2008 6:52pm
by Skullsplitter
Chastain & Leather Leone
Alright Metalheads. Jaime will rememeber this band, since they were from Ohio. Leather was one of my favorite singers. For me, she's up there with Ronnie James Dio, Ann Boyelyn from Hellion, and Vic Hix from from Shok Paris when it comes to powerful voices and...
Views: 228   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 10, 2008 10:28pm
by Tim McCarthy
abdominal shelf push?
In chorus class, a fellow soprano came up to me and said that you should always feel like your pushing a shelf?.. or making a shelf?.. when your singing. This struck me as rather odd. I thought to myself, maybe then that she is tightening her abdomen. Which if I reca...
Views: 364   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 10, 2008 6:12am
by oiselle
Placement
Can someone please describe to me the actual feeling of vocal placement on the soft palate? Does it feel like you are yawning? I've heard some people say that you need to keep the part of your mouth that rises when you yawn up when you are singing, is this correct? D...
Views: 287   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 3:38am
by ConreteLake
Double Practice
I had a quick question for Jamie or anyone who knows. If I had a practice session, and performed the VSR program before my practice (thoroughly), and then I went to do homework for about two hours, and then I decided to practice again, would I need to perform VSR aga...
Views: 284   Replies: 14
Last Post: Oct 7, 2008 11:25pm
by Jay Sin
Starting out, and ill
So, just about to turn sixteen, and at the same time just got this program. Said program sounds great! Problem is I just got laryngitis and thus probably shouldn't be singing at all for a couple of weeks. HOWEVER! I've got an audition for the show Les Mis in a mon...
Views: 148   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 6, 2008 11:26pm
by Andrew Southwort...
Fatigue with the last set of a 4 hour solo acoustic gig.
Hi, I'm writing from Lismore, Australia and would appreciate any feed-back. I have been using RYV method for the past 4 months now and have noticed a significant change in the strength of my voice around E4 to C5. I am so wraped in my progress. I'm just startin...
Views: 162   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 5, 2008 5:48pm
by Andrew Southwort...
Voice Yourself October Newsletter
Here it is: http://voiceyourselfintheclassroom.com/newsletter1oct08.html In this month's issue: 1) Breathe and Relax! 2) Demystifying the Diaphragm 3) Get Active 4) Follow-up Questions 5) Voice Lessons Enjoy! Val
Views: 172   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 5, 2008 8:39am
by oiselle
Singing Success Program (My opinion...)
I decided to go back and finish B. Manning's SS program instead of focusing on isolation ex's for a few weeks. I ended up spending 3 months, practicing 6-7 days a weeks, and spending over a week on each CD to make sure I'd really mastered each exercise. I was also...
Views: 627   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 3, 2008 10:34pm
by Austin Jahner
j
Jens
Anthem!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdap50L3Jtc listen to this! tommy in his prime... it's so ****** good!
Views: 256   Replies: 2
Last Post: Oct 3, 2008 7:43pm
by John King
about a very particular sound
What is that kind of short falsetto crack release sound that some singers put in between notes, like this the sound in between the sustained notes that starts at 4:56 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sru2N25rbE Any help on getting that distict short high release...
Views: 255   Replies: 6
Last Post: Oct 2, 2008 8:07pm
by stratmastertj
RA's New release "Black Sun" now available!
"Black Sun" is out today on iTunes and is featured on the main rock page as a new release and a pre-release!!! PLEASE forward this email to anyone you think might care and if you want to buy it a few hundred times we won't be mad!!! "Black Sun" hits stores next Tue...
Views: 370   Replies: 14
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 12:58pm
by Jaime Vendera
j
Jax
losing my range?
during the week 2 i left out 2 days due to fatigue and generally not being able in a comfortable environment for my warm ups. after that i got back into schedule adding an extra 2 days for week 2 in order to compensate for the lost ones, however generally i have felt...
Views: 342   Replies: 10
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 11:31am
by Jax
A couple things
So I went back to a warm up my Bel Canto teacher gave me and I feel like I've made some real progress with it this week. So my results have showed me that my most relaxed tone is louder than most of my singing friends. I know it's my best tone, because I can hit a...
Views: 231   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 30, 2008 9:54am
by Andrew Southwort...
m
Misso
For Jaime
Hi Jaime, please can you tell me your comment to this song....how to achive the super hard sounding C in this song....in the verses "when you told me you dont need me anymore"...I can sing the C but not so hard as in this song ....how is this sound produced?
Views: 253   Replies: 6
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 11:06am
by Jaime Vendera
v
Vinnie
A New Discovery
I took a few days off of singing and tried to be more nonchalant about the whole thing, and just let it happen. Well today I think that is exactly what I needed. I was listening to Ella Fitzgerald, and I was amazed at how all of her notes just seemed effortless, and...
Views: 222   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 29, 2008 7:31am
by Jaime Vendera
when i record my voice .......
Hi jamie my name is Paul, i'm one of the fans of your book. i'm practicing everyday at least an hour ~ 2 hours and i thought i was good at singing. today i recorded my singing voice for first time. and i realized it 100% sounds diffrent from what i hearing throug...
Views: 278   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 28, 2008 6:11pm
by tuba player
15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Free Forum powered by Bravenet