THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
g
Giorgi
How far can one "stretch" the chest voice?
Sooo, let's say can one sing high C with strain, in chest voice? Probably with extra amounts of breathe support? Not like that's my objective, just wondering.
Views: 467   Replies: 24
Last Post: May 21, 2009 5:17pm
by Giorgi
f
Farin
Asaf Avidan & The Mojos
I wonder how can it be that no one has mentioned this man. His critiques call him "the man who swallowed Robert Plant and Jenis Joplin" (and for a reason). He is an israeli but just went for a tour abroad, don't miss the opportunity to see this guy his AMAZING (and...
Views: 151   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 20, 2009 10:39am
by Giorgi
g
Gruuve
Lower head voice resonance question...Kermit the frog? :-)
I'm having difficulty finding powerful resonance in my lower head voice (roughly, F4 through B5 or so...resonance seems easy to find above that, from say C5 up to G5 or so). I was listening to Steelheart and all that killer midrange-ish bite Michael Matejivic has in...
Views: 495   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 18, 2009 3:26pm
by oiselle
g
Gruuve
High larnyx quick question...
I've looked in the mirror and realize my larnyx rises when I sing high. I recall from the book that this is bad, but I can't remember why (and I'm looking in the book but can't spot it). What exactly does high larnyx cause? Was it thin tone? Something else? Th...
Views: 442   Replies: 22
Last Post: May 18, 2009 3:21pm
by oiselle
j
jm
GERD Problems
GERD problems. I absolutely hate this. I've been having vocal problems for a while now, so I went to a vocal instructor looking to cure what I thought was a damaged voice. She ended up saying that it sounded like I had acid reflux because my voice is always hoarse...
Views: 237   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 18, 2009 3:09am
by Warrel_Dane
How to quit alcohol and cigarettes easily...
Alright, so a few months have gone by since I quit alcohol, and I can heartily recommend the method I used to do so. I used it effectively 3 years ago to quit cigarettes with no withdrawal symptoms, and without feeling like I was "giving up" anything. Now the metho...
Views: 279   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 17, 2009 5:28am
by Alkis Tsapanidis
g
Giorgi
Still need help with vocal fry screaming
Hi, I bugged you guys before but I still can't manage to do it... that new screaming video is still not out so I'm left with youtube and Zen of Screaming (watched both but it hasn't helped me at all). Alright so I can ofcourse make the normal fry noise, which...
Views: 459   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 17, 2009 4:52am
by ConcreteLake
PTD-1 SALE :50% OFF for the Month of April!
50% OFF SALE Vocalstsdirect.com is running a sale during the month of April on the PTD-1. During the entire month of April, the PTD-1 will be available for 50% OFF the regular retail price of $60. For those of you who are new members, or don't know wh...
Views: 311   Replies: 6
Last Post: May 15, 2009 6:21pm
by WPepper
I felt the cathedral!!
I feel like a fool now for over-obsessing about Falsetto now. The other day, when I was warming up on scales, I breached a plateau. Usually I can only vocalise up to an F#4, and it's pretty strained. Then I crack. But I usually try and anticipate the break by thinnin...
Views: 417   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 12, 2009 2:58am
by ConcreteLake
Short vocal sample...feedback please?
Hey guys...here's a link (short MP3): http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/vocalstuff/DaveVocalStuff_UpAllNight_Slaughter.mp3 This is far from perfect (plenty of pitchiness, need work on getting better tone, etc., etc., etc.)...BUT it's not too bad considering t...
Views: 299   Replies: 12
Last Post: May 11, 2009 7:33pm
by Jaime Vendera
Voice Coach in Germany
Hey guys, I just purchased RYV like 3 weeks ago and am already getting better. Just love Jamie's method. So I wanna step it up some more and get a real life coach to work with. I wanna make sure that I do everything right, that I keep on with my progress and that...
Views: 141   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 7, 2009 7:10pm
by RockThePlanet
New Dream Theater Single: Free Download for 24 hours!
Since James is now a student of Jaime's, I thought this would be a good place to post this. Starting at midnight May 6, you can download a free copy of their new single here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/ariteofpassage/
Views: 236   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 7, 2009 7:13am
by Skullsplitter
Check out my band: Call the Cobra
Hey guys...check out our first song on our EP scheduled to be released this summer... tell me what you think... www.myspace.com/callthecobra Jeff
Views: 311   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 6, 2009 6:27pm
by LegatoMan
Advice on 1st break, please...
OK, I'm trying to figure what to practice/teach myself here. I can hit an E4 and F4 in upper chest voice with no straining. I can hit F#4 in chest voice with a little effort, and G4 in chest on a really good day (although if I'm not careful, I strain to get there)....
Views: 211   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 6, 2009 10:37am
by gruuve@nc.rr.com
a
Anton
Huge audition coming up, and my throat is killing me - HELP!
Hi all! I've got an audition coming up that might just as well be on of the most important ones in my life. The audition is for a school that's said to be one of sweden's top 3, and it's extremely hard to get in. But I actually got passed the first round, and...
Views: 196   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 6, 2009 7:07am
by LegatoMan
Amazing
I read in RYV about vitamin B complex for being good for stress. Well, I just took two vitamins, and wow! was my voice freer! I meen amazing. I recomend it for anyone that feels that their voice isn't 100 percent free.
Views: 205   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 5, 2009 12:52pm
by Go
Voice Yourself: The May Newsletter
The May Newsletter is ready! In this issue: 1) Can You Feel It? 2) 10 Reasons to Encourage Kids to Sing in the School Choir 3) School Spring Concert 4) More on my School Performances! Copy this link: http://voiceyourselfintheclassroom.com/newsletter1M...
Views: 221   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 3, 2009 9:37am
by oiselle
Fun with karaoke...
I don't know if anyone else enjoys karaoke (probably!), but I do. I usually practice a song at home for a while, then go to karaoke somewhere and rip it out. Since I'm not singing with a band at the moment (just working on originals and recording), it gives me a "f...
Views: 207   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 3, 2009 9:33am
by oiselle
My larynx will not relax and neither will my tongue
I figured out the root of my problem. Well there are 3 problems, but the first 2 I can get figured out on my own. The first being I use too much air, and I already know how to fix that. The second being I haven't been using enough resonance, also something I can get...
Views: 716   Replies: 39
Last Post: May 2, 2009 11:53pm
by Danny
From Raspy to Powerful
Hey guys, So lately I've grown to hate the raspy tone of voice that I use naturally. According to my college singing teacher its just natural to me. I hate the idea of being some raspy sounding guy (unless I want to sound that way occassionally) I was wondering...
Views: 287   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 28, 2009 10:03am
by Jens
u
Ubi
Talking like Batman/Rorschach safely?
How could I go about speaking like Christian Bale's Batman without hurting my voice? I couldn't find anything on Google, and I figured it must be similar to doing a gritty kind of singing, but I haven't really figured that out either. And Christian Bale naturally ha...
Views: 244   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 27, 2009 9:31pm
by Austin Jahner
j
Jason
Tonsillectomy
Alright, I can't remember if I made a post about this awhile back so I'm gonna ask again... maybe somebody has learned of some new information. I want to get my tonsils removed. They have only caused me trouble from the start. I usually get about one or two infect...
Views: 290   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 27, 2009 4:39am
by Skullsplitter
g
Gruuve
Steelheart's Michael Matijevic - what "voice" in his high range?
Anyone familiar with Steelheart? The vocalist is phenomenal! He spends a lot of time in his upper ranges. What "voice" is he using? Head voice ala Steve Perry? Falsetto? "Reinforced falsetto"? (I don't know what that is, I just saw the term on another thread.)...
Views: 9095   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 27, 2009 3:52am
by Jens
Finding your own voice
Hello guys, I think that this question has probably been long overdue from me... For ages now I've been singing cover songs to work on my voice. I have some songs of my own but they really are playing it safe. So, so far, I've been on the hit and miss way of thing...
Views: 360   Replies: 16
Last Post: Apr 25, 2009 7:29pm
by Alkis Tsapanidis
How's this for a Powerful Incantation? Repeat before/after every session...
I just read this incantation/affirmation on Miriam Arman's blog, Whatever Happened to Great Singing? It was written by one of her students. I had to share, as I found it moving and awesome. Alter the first sentence to your own particular situation, and then repeat...
Views: 234   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 25, 2009 12:05pm
by oiselle
Affordable amplifiers for singing and breaking glass?
Hi, y'all. I need an amplifier with a mic jack, to start trying to break glass, and for my regular singing practice (especially for lower notes hardly audible), but I know next to nothing about audio. I'm on a tight budget, so please exclude expensive stuff. What wou...
Views: 219   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 24, 2009 9:00pm
by Skullsplitter
Mapping out my range...questions...
Hey folks...sat down at the piano and tried to map this out: Chest voice: G1 to G3 (I crack at A4) I can hit really high set of notes softly that are like mosquito sounds (for lack of a better description)...a few notes I can hit more than softly (like maybe 3-4 o...
Views: 291   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 24, 2009 1:11pm
by gruuve@nc.rr.com
Where would I find some band recordings of Jaime?
I'm really curious as to what Jaime sounds like live with a band. Jaime or anyone else...is there a band name or web-site I can find with some of the music you've sang to? Cheers! Gruuve
Views: 391   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 24, 2009 5:14am
by Skullsplitter
Voice Lessons in Orange County?
Hi, I'm fairly new to using Raise Your Voice and I like the book, but I'm also thinking of having actual live vocal instruction, never have before. Does anybody know a good teacher in Orange County, CA who teaches along the same lines as Jamie's program? Mainly I g...
Views: 220   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 23, 2009 11:00pm
by Jaime Vendera
Lessons
Hello beautiful people, Im looking for good voice lessons online(with a teacher and stuff via skype or whatever). The reason for preferring it to be online is that I live in Southeast Asia and I'm at least 2 planes away from the States where Jaime and his students...
Views: 230   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 23, 2009 10:51pm
by Jaime Vendera
v
Vanne
Head voice vs reinforced falsetto
Hey! I really want to hear the difference between those two. Is there anyone who would be kind to post a clip showing the difference between them. I would really appriciate it. Vanne
Views: 574   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 22, 2009 3:39pm
by LegatoMan
Is this scream well placed?
Hey guys, I was trying my luck at some Tim Owens material and recorded one of the screams from Hell is Home. I use quite a few different ways of producing screams and this is probably the first time I try this one and I have to ask: Is it well placed or is doing it...
Views: 275   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 19, 2009 11:28am
by Kevin
Spiderman on Broadway Auditions
Hey Guys, I thought you might be interested in the auditions for the new Broadway musical. Music and words are by Edge and Bono, and auditions are in big cities this week. They're looking for pop and rock singers. I think the websites spidermanonbroadway.com, bu...
Views: 244   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 18, 2009 10:54am
by oiselle
Any benefit to speaking in your falsetto voice?
This may sound like a silly question, but WTH right? LOL. We sing so easily in our chest voice because we're so accustomed to using it...it's our speaking voice. Do you think there's any benefits to spending at least some time per day speaking in our falsetto and/o...
Views: 271   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 17, 2009 11:47am
by operasinger
t
trband
Practice time
So I just finished reading the book and I'm about to get into doing the exercises. The question I have is how long should I work each exercise. The bood says start at c4 and go up till you top out, then work down. Is that it, should I repeat this or just one time...
Views: 306   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 16, 2009 9:19pm
by Andrew Southwort...
g
Gruuve
Question about falsetto slides - stay in falsetto?
Hi Folks...I've got the RYV book and I'm working on the falsetto slides. I'm aweful at them right now, but with practice it'll get better, right? Question: when sliding down the falsetto, should I stop before shifting to my chest voice, or try to slide on through t...
Views: 238   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 15, 2009 3:44pm
by Andrew Southwort...
This is balls!
This is balls....period! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqYpkjkVUo8&feature=related
Views: 435   Replies: 14
Last Post: Apr 15, 2009 2:46pm
by LegatoMan
g
Giorgi
Chad Kroeger (Nickelback)
I have bunch of questions about this singer... I really like him (I mean his voice :P) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95bX7-hWWts Do you think he strains in this video? How does he produce his rasp/grit?
Views: 839   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 14, 2009 6:49pm
by Danny
k
Kevin
Extreme Scream Series
Jaime, do you have any info on when Screaminglessons.com is going to release your Extreme Scream Series? Most of us have been waiting patiently. I tried emailing them multiple times, and they gave no response. Thanks!
Views: 276   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 14, 2009 12:26am
by mossman
More Productive Singing
So, I was wondering if it was more productive to sing high songs as quietly as possible while in full voice or just singing them with no heed to volume (Not shouting though). I was thinking about it, and singing higher softly seems to be much harder, so I'm assuming...
Views: 372   Replies: 20
Last Post: Apr 13, 2009 4:44am
by sofus987
Spectrum Raw Unfiltered Organic apple cider Vinegar?
A friend of mine found a different brand of Raw Unfiltered Organic apple cider Vinegar that he thinks is the same as braggs. Has anyone here ever tried it and do you think it would work the same way?
Views: 208   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 11, 2009 7:19pm
by oiselle
IS THIS VOCAL STRAIN/BAD TECHNIQUE?
I am singing again after being away from it for 10 years or so and my range is still there for the most part however when I try to apply grit and power by the end of band practice my voice is tired and hoarse. The next morning I can barely talk but by mid morning my...
Views: 397   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 9, 2009 3:55pm
by Andrew Southwort...
"The Art of Screaming" Program?
Has anyone tried "The Art of Screaming" DVD and CD? It's by Susan M. Carr. Looks like a pretty good package. Here's the website: http://www.theartofscreaming.com/ Any reviews?
Views: 255   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 8, 2009 11:40am
by Protoolie
False Dawn
This is a demo of a song by my band: http://www.myspace.com/falsedawnmusic. Would love to have the members of this forum comment on it. Cheers, Vats
Views: 234   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 8, 2009 8:41am
by ConcreteLake
v
Vinnie
The Break Area
All right, my voice is almost back to normal again, and the only problem I am having is with the break area. The notes E4 - G4 are so hard to me compared to Ab4 - C5. What is the best way to practice so that my break area becomes stronger? These are pretty much the o...
Views: 426   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 6, 2009 9:19pm
by rockout
Problem with Head Voice adduction
hey guys, I think my problem with Head Voice lies with the lack of adduction. I can sing in Chest Voice fine, loud, soft, whatever... I can even sing notes above E5 in what I call Super Head, loud and soft... but the range between E4 and E5, Head Voice, is always...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 6, 2009 5:32pm
by oiselle
singing with no pharyngeal/twang
Is it possible to be singing without any pharyngeal in your voice? I can't stand the sound of twang/pharngeal. It is such a whiney, strained, and yelling like sound. But, if I practice this sound it makes for better cord closure right? I think that is what I lack in...
Views: 521   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 6, 2009 5:15am
by Paul Adrian V.
My singing range is very different from my siren range. How can I improve my singing range?
When practicing doing falsetto slides and sirens, my current range is impressive: E2 to C6 (compared to the A2 to G#5 it was, before purchasing RYV). But when it comes to actually singing songs, I'd say my range is hardly A2 to F#5 clean, and probably F#2 to B5, usin...
Views: 283   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 6, 2009 12:02am
by DARKRonnoc
Please critique my vocals ;)
Hi, If you guys and gals have a couple of minutes, please check out my band's myspace page. http://www.myspace.com/konquered We are a young thrash band from New York. We currently have only one song up and I was hoping you could comment on the vocal performa...
Views: 330   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 4, 2009 7:33am
by Alkis Tsapanidis
Post your warm-up!
What exercise do you guys do to get your voice ready for some screaming heavy metal?! what i do: Deep Breathing 5x Some stretching Chin massage, tongue stretch, diaphragm tension release. Lip bubbles 20x gargling tone 5x chewbacca 10x pigeon 8x humming...
Views: 212   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 2, 2009 10:40pm
by altered
Zipping/Thinning/Unzipping/Thickening
Hey, I have recently read both Raise Your Voice by Jaime Vendera here and How to set your Voice Free by Roger Love. Both mentioned "zipping up the vocal cords" in order to reach higher notes and I've done some exercises that seemed to be geared towards that (gug...
Views: 272   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 2, 2009 4:56pm
by oiselle
No Twang in RYV
Twang is not mentioned in RYV1 (maybe RYV2 I dont know). I think its an element that I am lacking. Can anyone point me to any online demonstrations ? Is it something that people practice ?
Views: 1084   Replies: 20
Last Post: Apr 2, 2009 7:04am
by Paul Adrian V.
k
Kevin
Sounding like a woman
How to you make yourself sound more like a woman? The reason being is that I want to be the most versatile vocalist that ever existed, so I'm trying to broaden my horizons and learn to sing like a countertenor as well. Any advice?
Views: 389   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 2, 2009 6:46am
by oiselle
a question about warm-ups...
is it alright if i warm-up in the morning or a few hours before a show that im supposed to do at like 8pm? Reason is because I honestly wont find the time to give myself a proper warm-up. So i was wondering if it's okay to warm-up hours before a show and if it would...
Views: 203   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 1, 2009 12:34am
by stratmastertj
Do some people not have falsetto?
I have a weird problem with falsetto. I do have it, but it always seems to take way too much breath and come out too nasally and loud. I know that falsetto is not something we are trying to encourage here, but since falsetto tends to be considered a starting point...
Views: 364   Replies: 11
Last Post: Mar 31, 2009 8:34am
by Spektor
o
Omega
Singing sounds more clearly, enunciation, etc.
Anyone know any good books, videos, etc with drills that help a singer/actor sing words more clearly and enunciate better? Sometimes singing a fast song makes my tongue tied and not sound as clear for certain groups of consonants. Wonder if any of you know any goo...
Views: 134   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 31, 2009 1:03am
by Omega
Cardio
Just thought i'd let everyone know of a tip I learned recently. I realized every time I do some type of exercise before I sing, it gets easier to sing. I tried this before my vocal workout and realized it gave me an extra 3-5 notes. So today I didn't do it before I s...
Views: 248   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 30, 2009 10:37pm
by Andrew Southwort...
Tips on singing with aggression
Does anybody have any tips and advice on how to sing with more aggression... like Mille Petrroza or Bobby Blitz, Dave Mustaine. Each time I try to add some intense grit to my voice, the back of my palate starts to hurt. I'm really hoping you guys can please help me o...
Views: 376   Replies: 10
Last Post: Mar 29, 2009 5:18am
by Jens
v
Vinnie
Acid Reflux
Ok, so I was at the end of my rope today. Last night my voice was amazing, for a few hours. Sure enough, I woke up again today and it was terrible. I am so tired of this, and I remembered people saying things about acid reflux. So I was re-reading Raise Your Voice, s...
Views: 276   Replies: 14
Last Post: Mar 28, 2009 10:15pm
by Warrel_Dane
g
Giorgi
Producing grit without being very loud?
Hi, I can produce grit BUT for that I must get very loud. I might be using a power-push in the process cos I really feel alot changing around my stomach. But not sure if it's really a proper power push or just more support. Anyways is there any other way to get...
Views: 230   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 28, 2009 5:56pm
by stratmastertj
a
Anton
A video of my live performace in front of 400 people
So last week my band entered another battle-of-the-bands, and as I posted earlier, I was kind of worried about my voice not being able to do the higher, clean notes. But I think it went alright, not perfect though. Also, I kind of froze on stage since I was para...
Views: 246   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 27, 2009 8:57pm
by Anton
d
Dillon
This is awesome
So I started raise your voice awhile back and I am still working with it but it has done so much for me. We recorded and at one time got 3 of our songs playing on www.myspace.com/mymtv . We are known as GraceTheFall and I am the lead singer, guitarist for it. Please...
Views: 240   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 26, 2009 10:38pm
by oiselle
45 Second Note
Hey guys, I was trying to see how long I could hold out a note today, and it took me about seven or eight tries, but I was able to finally break 30 by concentrating on support and the inhallation sensation. I also played some music to keep my mind off of it. I wasn't...
Views: 216   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 26, 2009 4:00pm
by DARKRonnoc
a
Angel
Breath support and air escaping
I can feel breath support when i'm doing the hissing on a "sss" exercise or when i'm using the PTD device. However, when I vocalize, I lose all my breath support. When I hiss or use the PTD, I can feel downward pressure in my belly since there since my lips can b...
Views: 307   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 26, 2009 6:57am
by oiselle
increasing your range..
I have a question. Just exactly how does your range increase over time when you practice the 7 week system? Reason why I'm asking is because I've been practicing for quite a while now and I don't see much improvement. My singing is the same. The only technique...
Views: 489   Replies: 21
Last Post: Mar 25, 2009 11:12am
by SymphonyX
Dream Theater forum icon DREAM THEATER - BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS - Coming June 23rd!
http://dreamtheaterforums.org/forum/index.php?topic=23336.0 Enjoy!!
Views: 286   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 23, 2009 9:03pm
by rockout
over complication
one thing i have noticed on a lot of posts here are people wondering things like "is this head voice or pharyngeal voice" or "pharyngeal or falsetto" etc. I just have to say this. It doesn't matter. Just sing it. If you like the way it sounds great. If not pract...
Views: 466   Replies: 20
Last Post: Mar 23, 2009 7:12pm
by mossman
j
Jason
Bel Canto?
I just began working with a Bel Canto instructor... she graduated from Julliard and taught voice at DuPaul University in Chicago, IL for 36 years so I thought that sounded pretty nice... I know that some of you have had Bel Canto instruction, so if you could answer m...
Views: 357   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 23, 2009 7:27am
by rockout
tips for strenthening high notes?
I have been working alot on extending my range, and taking weight off of my voice, but now its hard for me to put weight on if I want a heavier sound. Right at a G above mid G my voice starts thinning out, which I know its supposed to, (before it didn't and I just en...
Views: 318   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 19, 2009 4:08pm
by stratmastertj
Vocalist Wanted for Decapitated
As it appeared in the last Nuclear Blast Newsletter: DECAPITATED - IN SEARCH OF NEW MEMBERS Guitarist Waclaw "Vogg" Kieltyka of the Polish extreme metallers DECAPITATED — whose brother, DECAPITATED drummer Witold "Vitek" Kieltyka, died on November 2, 2007...
Views: 226   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 18, 2009 6:18pm
by oiselle
Ahhh, The Joys of Having a Head & Chest Cold!
There is nothing like a Head and Chest Cold. Especially when you have to sing. mmmmhhhmmmm I woke up witha headcold of some sort, by the time I got back in from band practice 2 hours ago I had a ful blown chest cold. Oh Joy! I'm drinking Honey and AC...
Views: 243   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 18, 2009 3:55pm
by altered
Progress
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I've recorded some stuff to show what progress I've had so far with my voice. Still needs lots of work but I think it's much better than it used to be: Nevermore - Next in Line Warrel Dane - Equilibrium Warrel Dane - This Old...
Views: 305   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 18, 2009 2:57pm
by Alkis Tsapanidis
m
Matt
Working falsetto low in range
I was reading this Cornelius Reed book about seperating the register completely and working the falsetto as low as you can go. Does anyone have any thoughts on this concept. Will it have a impact on taking some heaviness out of the low to mid range notes. Has anyone...
Views: 301   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 17, 2009 5:48pm
by mikey
j
Jason
Pavarotti vs Domingo?
Just wanted to throw a fun discussion on here! Alrighty, well many believe Pavarotti to be the King of Opera. They say he's the best ever and will probably always be the best and all that jazz. I on the other hand, among a small group of people, HIGHLY disagree....
Views: 653   Replies: 9
Last Post: Mar 17, 2009 2:25pm
by Kevin
k
Kevin
Biting my tongue
I have this wierd thing that I just noticed. Whenever I do lip bubbles, I bite the side of my tongue and king of hold it in place with me teeth. It's so automatic it's not even funny. When I don't bite it, the lip bubbles become a lot more difficult. I do it also whe...
Views: 281   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 17, 2009 12:15am
by oiselle
Help with Friends....
Hey, guys. I was trying to determine if "Friends" by Led Zeppelin was sung in full voice or pharyngeal/reinforced falsetto. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCP0X286w_Y&eurl=http: //video.google.com/videosearch?q=Friends+led+zeppelin&hl=en&emb=0&a...
Views: 200   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 16, 2009 11:53pm
by Go
What's your opinion?
Hey guys, Youtube has its own version of American Idol. I was just curious as to what you all thought of the final 4 out 30 contestants. Round 11 1)wwww.youtube.com/ynot92763 2)wwww.youtube.com/cal5755 3)wwww.youtube.com/trevorhoen 4)wwww.youtube.c...
Views: 156   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 16, 2009 9:00pm
by singoutloud
v
Vinnie
I need a little more help
I think I need just a little more help before I can actually sing songs in middle and head voice. It seems like I am stuck and not getting better. Maybe even getting worse. I practice the exercises every day, and I try to sing songs every day too, but it just doesn't...
Views: 174   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 16, 2009 6:22pm
by Alkis Tsapanidis
Breathing tip - diaphragm only
In working with the PTD1, I have figured out a little "way" to get all your breathing below the ribcage. When done correctly, your diaphragm will fill out, ribs will slightly expand, and towards full capacity your chest will begin to fill from the bottom up. Best...
Views: 224   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 16, 2009 11:20am
by wylde342
Where can I post me singing?
The name of this post says it all
Views: 237   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 15, 2009 3:02pm
by Rhombus
Arceneux Approach
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone here's looked into the Arceneaux Approach V1. I've read the booklet and listened to the CD's. It's mostly a lot of rehashed SLS stuff building up over a 6-week period. The one thing he brings to the table seems to be his 6-...
Views: 368   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 15, 2009 10:02am
by singoutloud
Grit using the throat...
I was wondering, would it actually be okay if when using downwards support, produce grit using the throat to make the grit more intense? Instead of using the vocal fry? I tried it once, and it hasn't really damaged my voice. But I just want to make sure if it's ok...
Views: 325   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 15, 2009 9:49am
by SymphonyX
m
max
difference between pharyngeal and reinforced falsetto
Hi jamie i had a question on Pharyngeal voice what is the difference between pharyngeal voice and reinforced falsetto and how will i use pharyngeal voice to perform those high scream like in Judas priest songs. the lugos withches do i blend or mix it with my...
Views: 778   Replies: 16
Last Post: Mar 13, 2009 4:22pm
by Skullsplitter
v
Vibe
About Types Of Scream
yo rockers of the freeworld! any idea what sort of scream uses Chester Barirington From Linkin Park, and what kind of SCream Use Matt Shadows from Avenged Sevenfold, and last but not least: whatkind of scream does Phil Anslemo from the Legendary Patnera uses? L...
Views: 235   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 13, 2009 4:06pm
by Andrew Southwort...
Confused about gargling tone/whispering/unvoiced consonants???
OK, so when you do the gargling tone does anyone know if your vocal cords actually touch? I realize the water doesn’t actually touch the cords (unless in trace amounts trickling down) but what are the cords doing exactly? Is it the same as speaking/singing wi...
Views: 266   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 13, 2009 4:05am
by Skullsplitter
v
Vinnie
Phlegm Frustration!
I am so frustrated right now! I've been practicing every day, and I've been getting better at using my increased range in actual songs. The problem is, day to day, I never know what my voice will sound like. A few days ago, my voice was extremely powerful and I was o...
Views: 281   Replies: 6
Last Post: Mar 12, 2009 1:18pm
by Vinnie
For all you Steve Perry Fans.
When I was Younger, I used to always hear about an infamous band called "The Good Rats" from Long Island. The band featured Joe Franco on drums, who is well known to any Drummer as one of the first Double Bass kings. Anyway, The Guitarist from that band was named Pe...
Views: 356   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 10, 2009 5:03pm
by Jay Sin
Voice Yourself: The March Newsletter!
Hello everyone! Sorry once again for the delay in sending you my newsletter. I hope to rectify my tardiness by next month and start being on time on the 1st of each month again. In this issue: 1) Your Natural Speaking Pitch 2) The Adam's Apple 3) Report Car...
Views: 217   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 8, 2009 8:42pm
by oiselle
c
Chris
Shure vs. Sennheiser
I am curious if you guys have any opinions on these 2 mikes and which one is better. Shure SM58 Sennheiser E835 The Guy at guitar center said the Sennheiser mike is way better but I know that they sometimes push certain products. This is only my 2nd mike so I...
Views: 876   Replies: 15
Last Post: Mar 8, 2009 8:41pm
by Andrew Southwort...
d
dewey
smells like teen spirit chorus - headvoice?
I've been a huge Nirvana fan for ages now, however the way I hear smells like teen spirit and his higher "screams" sounds like the rasped head voice/falsetto sound i can do sometimes. I don't know if it's correct, I think it would come pretty close to it during a gig...
Views: 240   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 8, 2009 7:32pm
by dewey
Question for Jaime: about Thomas Appell's High C book
I both have your books and I'm just wondering what is the difference about your approaches in extending the full voice? Thanks
Views: 578   Replies: 16
Last Post: Mar 8, 2009 9:32am
by oiselle
k
Kevin
I had a breakthrough!
I'm now positive that I'm breathing right. Before, I felt my back and the sides of my ribs expand, and my belly always came out. Now, I feel all along and around the bottom of my ribs expand! Everything became easy! I did a scream, and I actuallty felt my soft palate...
Views: 300   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 7, 2009 4:52pm
by oiselle
Just something fun to do
Hi! As the subject head says, this is just something to do for fun. ^^ Im sure everyone here has a specific vocal idol- you know, someone's vocal cords you'd kill to have. I just want to hear different people out regarding who it is and why. ^^ Aside from...
Views: 332   Replies: 13
Last Post: Mar 7, 2009 12:58pm
by Warrel_Dane
k
Kevin
Zen Of Screaming
I watched Zen of Screaming today. I noticed a lot of the exercises seem to be on placement and resonance. She doesn't seem really go into much detail on screaming itself... So basically, I have 3 questions: 1. Is the scream simply a vocal fry with good placement a...
Views: 432   Replies: 5
Last Post: Mar 7, 2009 1:14am
by Kevin
Vowel Modification on Transcending Tone
While this may have been posted about before, I wanted to mention a personal experience tonight during my practice. I was trying various SLS words (mum, no, nay) on TT as per Jaime's suggestion on the board a few days ago. While doing this I remembered a friend...
Views: 178   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 10:23pm
by Austin Jahner
What to do when you're warming up and you know you're voice is going to suck
What do you do when you are warming up before a performance and you realize it's one of those days where you're voice is simply gonna suck? (be not as resonant, as bright and you have to force to make it sound as loud as it should) Today, I was gonna record, I sta...
Views: 222   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 6:10pm
by Austin Jahner
j
Jax
A modern teen love song for a band at party?
modern teen love song for a band at party? My band and I are playing at a school party with a few songs. I am the vocalist, im moderate in range and singing, still havent grasped much of middle (a4 max when fully warmed up) (link of a past gig:http://www.youtube.com...
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 3:23pm
by Jax
Effects of Alcohol on Voice
Hey everyone, I have been a regular nightly drinker for years now, and last Monday made the decision to quit completely. There have been numerous effects, but the one I wanted to mention was the effect on my voice. In only 6 days my stamina has literally doubled...
Views: 255   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 1:15pm
by Austin Jahner
Head Voice Easy
Has anyone actually had any luck with effortless singing (especially in the head voice). I feel like always I have some tensing causing my singing to be strenuous. Too much breath pressure? Raising larynx? Lack of experience? Pulling chest? I've asked myself all of t...
Views: 253   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 6, 2009 12:43pm
by LegatoMan
How myspace blogs can help you stay on track vocally
Recently I have decided to completely re-read raise your voice, how to sing a high C without straining, and the ultimate breathing work out, and re-watch vocal power. I then began to take certain little notes, and start typing them out in a myspace blog set to a diar...
Views: 184   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 5, 2009 7:37pm
by oiselle
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Free Forum powered by Bravenet