INVESTIGATIONS@aghost.us

NEWSLETTER SUBMISSION :
NEWSLETTER@aghost.us

VISITOR SUBMISSION:
VISITORS@aghost.us

WEBMASTER:
WEBMASTER@aghost.us

Home - Member's Area - SIGN-UP BOARD
Officers & Directors | Documents and Reports | Merchandise | Calendar | Library |
Sign-up Board | Messageboard | Media Archive | Reporting DB New! |
Membership DB | Live Webcam | FAQ
General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
March 24, 2007, 11 am

March 24, 2007, 11 am
Saar’s Cemetery Clean up day!

Let’s all pitch in and help out with Saar’s Cemetery clean up day! I don’t know if you have been there lately, but it’s in pretty good shape and we would like to keep it that way! We need people to spread wood chips, pull weeds and rake. Please bring a sturdy pair of gloves. All are welcome! Bring the whole family. I will supply cold drinks for everyone!

Saar’s Cemetery is located at the intersection of South 212 and Hwy 167 and next to Winco foods in Kent.

Re: March 24, 2007, 11 am

I'll be coming and will bring at least one other volunteer. Looking forward to helping out

Please count me in and i'll bring my boy's
for some extra help!

I'm in

Count me in. I will bring extra yard equiptment for people to use.
Sheri

Ok...I'm in. WIll bring 14 year old helper too. We may need some hot drinks as well.

Count me in.

Guys, this event is really starting to shape up! We just got press in the Kent Reporter, and with Stephanie’s help, we will get some more. Mike Wolfe is going to man a comfort station with a big table and flags. He will have drinks, snacks, a first aid kit and PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL for AGHOST!!! Let’s try to wear our AGHOST tee shirts, if we can, so we look better in the paper. Winco has generously allowed us to park in their lot closest to the cemetery. Let’s be sure and park there so Mike’s efforts are noticed by passing cars. Thanks guys!

I'll be there, rain or shine.

I'm in so sure

Just wanted to move this up to the top. We have started to get press on this one, and Stephanie is working on getting more. I received an email from a high school girl who is bringing 10 friends with her! Mike W is working on setting up a fantastic welcome center. Drinks and flyers will be available. This is going to be a fantastic event! Please sign up if you plan to attend. Remember the whole family is welcome!

I'll be there with some shelter and spiced cider! Although I will need help transporting the day-shade, the table and such!

Mike

I'm volenteering my SMALL Ford Ranger truck for this event to help haul away or bring in flowers and what not - I HATE YARDWORK, so don't ask - but I'll be the First Aid and Hydration Station!!

D.R. Davis
:-)

I will pick up Mike at his house and transport him and equipment to the Saars Cemetery. Gary and I have a long bed pickup truck that will work just fine. I hate yard work worse than Dani but may bring some help:)

Thank you Lori Ann and everyone for all your help on this one. I am getting email daily that we have appeared in a paper, newsletter and even a church bulletin. Good job, Stephanie. I have been informed that there is wood at the cemetery available to anyone wishing to make a donation for flowers to be planted later. this will be great firewood next winter, so let us know if you are interested.

Along with the Hydration Station and First Aid - I can help out with the firewood donation station, I can get firewood bundles together... I got twine and an ax - will travel

My better half is coming along too...and bringing a chain saw. He can lift equipment into the truck if need be. We are also bringing a teenager along to help with any "heavy" lifting.

I'll be sending out another round of press releases next week to keep it fresh in everyone's mind. Let me know if there is anything special I should promote.

I won't be able to attend after all.

Here is an update on the information from Karen B, the lady who does so much work with Saars.

Hi Madeline: The following is a copy of an e-mail I sent you earlier. All I can add about the donation/firewood is since SKCGS is a non-profit organization, I can’t really put a $$ amount on what someone wants to donate. It’s entirely up to the individual what they think is fair. Also, everyone will need to bring their own tools; rakes, wheelbarrows, weed pullers, gloves, water (drinking and for pouring on the newspapers), newspapers, garbage bags, machetes, etc.

On Jan 29th, I had hired a tree service to cut down a few more trees and chip them, and to re-chip a huge pile of chips (the hunks were too big to work with). To make a long story short, they screwed up. The trees are down (that’s good), but they didn’t chip, they piled it into firewood (that’s bad). They wouldn’t re-chip the pile because they said there were too many rocks in it. Needless to say, I’m very disappointed. What does all this mean for the March 24th clean up day? There isn’t the massive amount of chips I was planning on for spreading around the headstones. But we can still get a lot accomplished. Here are some ideas:

Some of that chipped pile is usable, will just have to pick though it to use it. Will need 2 inches of newspapers, soak it with water, and then spread the chips. Very important: newspapers only, NO ads, slimies, or magazines please!

Blackberries need to be hacked down and hauled away. Lots of blackberries are dead on the ground, they need to be raked up and hauled away.

Weed pulling, ivy pulling, vinca pulling.

If you know of anyone willing to make a donation to take some firewood, we could use that money to pay for hauling away a lot of debris, of course, will need a pickup truck. If we can’t take in any money, and someone will provide a pickup truck, I will pay for the hauling away. Another option here, if everyone brings large garbage bags and takes it home full of debris.

After this clean up day, the monument company will be out to clean, level and reattached, and repair all the headstones. A lot of the headstones are in a very fragile condition, so we need to stress to everyone to be very careful working around them.

Thanks and see you soon, Karen

Does anyone have a chipper??????

Dani has a small pickup truck. We can load and she can dump for us that day. I would also like to make a donation to take some of the firewood for my backyard firepit.
Sheri

If all goes well, I will be glad to do what I can. Will bring rake, clippers, shovel and gloves.

As stated before... I hate, loath and dispise yard work (please - please don't ask me to help) however... this is what I can offer...

* I have my small Ford Ranger, It has a bed liner and I am willing to let it be used for hauling and I can pick up anything you may need

* I can be the Hydration Station and First Aid Station, I'll bring a cooler of ice and cold water along with my 3 first aid kits, plastic gloves and masks & safety goggles

* I can also be in charge of "bundling" some twigs/fire wood for the donations - if we keep the sizes limited - then someone can't stick it to us by taking it all for $5.00 - make sense

* I can start collecting newspapers at work

* I have three tubes (50 lbs each I think) of sand that can be used through out the cemetary and I have packages of wild flower seeds

* I can and will bring my camera to take pics and document all of ya'lls hard work...

HOPE THAT HELPS

I won't be able to help out after all but I'll be there in spirit, sending out good vibes for good weather.

Dani take lots of pictures for my media kit.

Thanks

Medical update: Re Saar's

Hi from Mike
It has taken my Doctors nine and a half years, but they finally identified the problem with my arms, and it comes at a bad time. I have very torn tendons on both shoulders, so I am restricted to lifting five pounds occasionally, and ten pounds a couple times a day. I am also restricted from pushing, pulling, or grasping. Yuck!

This unfortunately means that I can't move the stuff to get it ready for the Saar's clean-up. On the other side it does mean that I get to finally have things fixed over the course of the next year. However for two periods of three months I will be restricted to the use of first one arm and then the other. Long time for that sort of weight restriction.

Sarr's & Doctors

Well, Tomorrow I have my pre-op exam to find out more about what they are going to do to myy shoulder. My normal lifting limit is 5 lbs. This means that I won't be able to get stuff out of the garage

Nor will I be able to set stuff up or break it down. Not my idea of running hospitality! So do we have a drop back and kick plan? I can probably get help from housemates getting stuff out like a table, chairs and a dayshade. But we will have to have a crew to set up the stuff, then I can sort of be a lump.

Yuck

Madelaine do you have any thoughts?

Mike - I can swing by and pick up the chairs/table and day shade, if it's piled and ready to go - depending of course where you are located and as long as you have directions on how to put it up...

hi guys, thanks for all your help. and thanks lori ann and danni for helping mike. see you there!

Hi Mad;
Talked to Mike last night. I have strong helpers and a large truck. I have directions to Mike's house so we can just swing by and pick up equipment and we can dig it out of the garage if need be. See you all there. Mike; I didn't get around to calling you tonight but will call tomorrow.

I can't make it, I have to go out of town-unexpected.

can't make it , sorry

I'll have help getting the stuff out of the garage! So with some help setting up we will be in business!

Mike

it's down pourring really bad here.. just want to make sure we are still on?

I live only about 10 miles from Saars and my weather report is on par with Dani's. The rain is coming down steadily with no break on the horizon. I can typically look out my back window and see if there are blue skies following behind the rain and, as of 9:15 anyway, there aren't. Things can change, though, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. If the rain does not let up, I guess some soggy bravehearts can still go and remove the wood and such... just wouldn't want to get down on the ground to do the weeding. If the rain does let up, folks should consider brining along a kneeling pad (get them at garden shops or even use a folded plastic tablecloth) so their pants don't get entirely soaked. Hope to see everyone in a few hours.

Rain Shelter at Saar's

Hi
We will have a 10 x20 rain shelter to hide under and grumble about the thicker patches of rain!
At least as of 10:00 am in Renton the wet is not as heavy!

Mike

Copyright © 2006 AGHOST
All rights reserved.
www.aghost.us