Return to Website

The Conch Cruisers

Welcome to the forum of the Conch Cruisers! Back to Bimini in June, 2005!

The Conch Cruisers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lake Michigan 2006

As I've stated, this year I'm not going to travel more than one trailer day from home. The original launch point they were discussing - Ephraim, WI is 1093 miles from my home; 18:21 hours, obviously a good two trailer days. No way I'm substituting a two day trailer trip to WI for a two plus day trip to FL.

For those coming from the east, the ferry at Ludington appears to allow a different route that's way shorter. For me it's 775 miles to Ludington, 12:21, quite a long day. Ludington to Ephraim is another 167 miles, 6:45 not including the wait for the ferry which only runs twice a day. Though the total is around 150 miles shorter, it's still longer at 19:07 total, not including the wait for the ferry, which could be up to twelve hours. So, though you're saving about 150 miles, you're actually takng longer.

In my book, the time factor on the ferry trip's irrelevant. Two passengers, round trip at $82/ea, plus tow vehicle $53 each way, plus boat & trailer, 31 feet hitch ball to mast tip times $4.95/ft each way, roughly $575 round trip. You've got to be kidding me.

Jack, don't I recall you were one of those who originally wanted to boycott Bimini because of the $140 entry fee?

Re: Re: Lake Michigan 2006

Chip: Sorry to hear you won't be with us.

I never checked out the cost of the ferry and had no idea it would be so much. I've towed thru downtown Chicago* and Milwaukee on the Interstates at rush hour with no sweat and will do it again rather than pay $575 for the ferry. Coming from Cincinnati (intermediate family pit stop) the ferry is out of my way.

*I drove a CTA bus in Chicago as a college summer job for two years.

Re: Re: Re: Lake Michigan 2006

I would have been totally amazed if Mr. Frugal had said you were taking the ferry anyhow. That cost is so astoundingly high it's hard to believe.

I've decided at least this time around, I'm not willing to spend 1/3 or more of my time on the road.

Is there an alternative launch on the eastern side of lake Michigan or Huron others might be interested in?

Re: Sailing to Bimini

Chip-

It might be worth your time considering the Trailer Sailors ( http://www.trailersailors.org/ ) cruise of the North Channel. If you launched in Tobermory, or took the (less expensive) ferry over to Manatoulin Island, you could join the group at any point, spend the time you wanted, and then pull out on your schedule. Very flexible group with a large enough number of boats that you can almost always find someone to go off on a side trip if you want, and a wonderful cruising area.

There is also an active group in your area called the New England Trailer Sailors ( http://www.ne-ts.com/ ). I've never sailed with them, but I've heard good things.

Re: Re: Sailing to Bimini

Thanks Jim. The only thing I found on the trailer sailors website is a (very) brief on this years' North Channel cruise, and Mapquest searches of both Tobermory and Manatoulin camp up blank. Do you have any further info?

I belong to NE-TS (used to be MOANE, MacGregor Owners of New England) since August and have been on one trip with the group, a long weekend to Cape Cod. Nice bunch, just like all the other Mac owners I've run into. They tend to concentrate on the local (for us) New England area: Boston, Cape Cod, Maine, Long Island Sound, with annual extended outings to Lakes Champiain and Winnepesaukee. That's OK, too; whether I join this years' Conch Cruiser fleet or not, I'll definitely be going out with them a time or two as well.

Re: Re: Re: Sailing to Bimini

For those as locationally challenged as I, Tobermory and Manatoulin, are in Ontario, Canada. Mapquest does just fine if you give it the right province (ON). Tobermory's on the eastern side of Lake Huron, 700-some miles and 10 trailer hours for me, so this one's a possibility.

Obviously this is a completely different trip than the one planned by the Midwest Mac group. I'll be keepping an eye on the planning, dates, etc and decide later whether I will try this one or stick with the "local" group, NE-TS.