Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
eliza Agnes clowes parents

Eliza agnes clowes was born in Sheffield in 1875 and in 1894 at Worsborough she married robert walter shipley.

On the GRO index it says her mmn was READ yet I have found no match for a Clowes Read marriage which thinks that her mother might have been married before.

The marriage cert says her father was called Henry.

I am also unable to trace Eliza on 1881 and 1891 census.

I was wondering if some kind person could assist me please on finding Eliza's parents, it could be me though having senior moments and the answer is staring me in the face.

Chhers

John

Re: eliza Agnes clowes parents

John

She is using the name Agnes on the 1881 and 1901 census.

Henry Clowes Head Married Male 44 1837 Blacksmith striker Sandbach, Cheshire, England
Elizabeth Clowes Wife Married Female 33 1848 -Norwich, Norfolk,
Annie Clowes Daughter Single Female 14 1867 -Openshaw, Lancashire,
Alice Clowes Daughter Single Female 8 1873 Scholar Darnall, Yorkshire,
Agnes Clowes Daughter Single Female 6 1875 Scholar Darnall, Yorkshire,

Angela

There is a marriage in 1865 registered in Manchester for Henry Clowes and Elizabeth Read.

Angela

John

The Lancashire BMD site shows that this marriage took place at Manchester Cathedral (formerly Manchester Collegiate Church)

Angela

Thanks Angela. Told you the answer was staring in my face.

going on from this I have found a burial for Henry Clowes aged 53 buried in 1890 and is in Darnall Cemetery. Elizabeth not with him.

I thern found an Elizabeth clowes buied in 1899 in Darnall aged 50 (age correct) but in a different grave.

It says for this person she was a widow. I am wondering has this been transcribed wrongly and it should should say wife?

Has anyone access to Darnall records to check for me or is in fact this is a different to the Elizabeth I am looking for?

John

If you select Find Similar In Grave. You will see that they are both common graves.

Angela

John Our transcription S&DFHS also states widow, which she was. Elizabeth died in 1899 and Henry her husband died in 1890.

Angela

Senior moment day of course she was a widow I was thinking Henry had died in 1899 what a idiot. Must go and get my eyes checked and new batteries for my brain.